• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

MOOOONSTER German Type XXI project

I get to meet a lot of fascinating people through my website and projects from all walks of life and from all over the world.

Joe was one of those people. He's done a ton of amazing things over his lifetime and one of his journeys brought him down the path of RC submarines. Being a worldly gent, he came across a very unique submarine project in Germany and decided he had to have it. The project in question was a German Type XXI.

Not a common subject to begin with, this particular boat also stood apart based on its size. Nearly 9ft long, this boat was a beast! In accurate measurements, it came in at 101.25" in length, or 257cm, putting it at right around 1/30th scale (or close enough to 1/32 scale that those parts should fit just fine). The hull was made from thick fiberglass with aluminum reinforcement at critical areas. The previous owner had gotten aluminum sheeting CNC cut to address many of the floodholes for a very precise finish. The hull weighed in at around 25lbs itself and was exceptionally rigid.

Not to trust shipping companies, Joe took it upon himself to fly to Germany pick up the boat from the owner, drive it across Europe to Belgium, and then fly it home on the airplane (I'm guessing it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin).

Fast forward a few years and I find myself on the other end of Joe's email where he let me know he was getting out of the hobby but wanted to make sure his precious boat saw its way to completion by someone up to the task of doing it justice. Once the blushing receded, we ended up striking a deal for the big XXI and a nice OTW Type XXIII coastal sub kit he also had.

Last night, I'm very happy to say it found its way to my shop and I got the chance to take a good look at it.

Wow.

Big is an understatement, and I don't know that the attached pic does it justice. I'm a big guy at 74" tall, and this boat still looks big next to me. The hull is between 3/16" and 1/4" thick throughout and is solid enough to cause serious damage if it hit an object while under full steam, I'd warrant. The CNC inserts are very well done and for the most part are installed nicely flush with the hull.

The boat is set up as a dry hull but shouldn't pose too much of an issue to convert to accepting a large diameter cylinder. The upper deck opening ranges from 4" at the ends to 7" in the center of the boat. A 5" cylinder should be easy to install with room to spare.

There were quite a few extras such as beautiful scale brass props, masts, antennas and even a scale metal torpedo included with the deal as well.

All in all I'm very happy with the deal we struck and I'm looking forward to taking this one on once it hits my build queue. I'm envisioning a large low-pressure pump ballast system. There were also a pair of large Engel piston tanks included with the deal, so perhaps I'll use those at the ends to provide precision trim.

For now, I need to find a home for an eight and a half foot long submarine until I get the chance to put it on the bench.

Thoughts and comments are very welcome as this will be stepping outside my experience being such a huge boat.
    Attached Files
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Got a good sized air pump if you're interested. It has four diaphragms, which you can run in series or parallel, for pressure or volume. The motor is a high quality item, but big and chunky and runs low RPM on 24 volts, so I would swap that out. A small brushless motor would run the diaphragms just fine and take up far less room.

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

when you first described it, and the size, the first thing I thought of was 32nd parallel, but that's not one of their hulls. I'll be interested to watch your progress on the build.
      The OTW Type XXIII is a fun one to build as well.

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Sam, is that "fun" as in a real joy or "fun" as in a pain in the tail section?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ssn705
          • Sep 2013

I think I would lose it going into hyper-detailing... That is an awesome looking kit. You are a better man than me to take that one. Best of luck with it.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• warpatroller
            • Feb 2006

That XXI hull is bad ass!! You are going to need a boat trailer to carry that one to the lake! Bob always seems to get a hold of the coolest stuff! And an OTW XXIII on top of it!! That is not fair at all! This is the ultimate electro-boote pairing here!

That XXI really looks like it might be able to cross the Atlantic, and set a Guinness record, for first Model sub to autonomously sail from Florida to England. Record set by Bob the builder, with the help of a clever GPS programmer/engineer.. I can see it now..

Comment

• wingtip
              SubCommittee Member
              • Dec 2004

dont give him any ideas or it will have retractable solar panels he can deploy to charge the batteries lol

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

I took some quick weights off the boat this morning and she tips the scales at 36lbs dry with 9.5lbs above the waterline. If we use round numbers, that's 10lbs of ballast needed to float her at the correct waterline. If my math is right (and please check it), then we're looking at a 160oz ballast tank. So... if 1oz is 1.8 cubic inches of water, then I'm looking for 288 cubic inches of ballast.

I plan on a large central tank using a low pressure pump (vented to surface via the periscope) and a pair of large Engel piston tanks that I got as part of the deal to act as trim tanks fore and aft. I'm pretty sure they're the 750ml versions (about a foot long each). That would be about 46 cubic inches that I wouldn't need to put in the central tank, leaving 242 cubic inches to go in the middle. If I did my calculations correctly, then I'll need a tank of about 12" length and 5" diameter to make that work.

Here's a walkaround video of the boat for anyone interested!

This is a quick overview of a massive 1/30th scale RC Submarine hull. Originally sourced from Germany, this is likely a one-off model. It features fiberglass...
                Last edited by bob the builder; 03-04-2016, 10:10 AM. Reason: added video
                The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                  Sam, is that "fun" as in a real joy or "fun" as in a pain in the tail section?
                  no, fun as in "fun". I loved building my XXIII. I bought a second one.

Comment

• salmon
                    Treasurer
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by sam reichart View Post
                    no, fun as in "fun". I loved building my XXIII. I bought a second one.
                    Just clarifying. I have a 32nd Type XXIII and it is a wonderful sub, but I did not put this one together.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
                    X