Radio questions...AM to FM conversion possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck
    • May 2015

Radio questions...AM to FM conversion possible?

I was recently given a gift. I was given a pristine, never used, ACE R/C radio system from the 1980's or 90's. It's a 6 channel radio on 75 MHZ, but it's an AM radio. I'm not an electronics guy, and have a couple of questions that I know the Subcommittee pros can answer. First, will AM work well underwater in subs? Second, can folks like Radio South convert the radio to FM, which I have used in all my subs for the last twenty years?
    I believe, although I may be mistaken, that ACE radios used a positive shift rather than the Futaba and Hitec negative shift scheme for their radios. What will that do to the servos, ESC, and APC's that are the predominant ones on today's market? Will they still work?
    The ACE receiver is a little clunky, and has very proprietary connectors, so if I can find a Futaba or Hitec FM receiver with their universal connectors, and can get the transmitter converted to FM, so much the better.
    I sent an email to Radio South a few weeks ago, but have not received a reply, so I'm turning to the experts at the Subcommittee for help.
    Thank you in advance for any information.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • vasily
    • Jun 2014

Chuck,
    Your first hurdle is to determine if that pre-1991 transmitter is "narrow band". It probably is not, and therefore is not legal to use under the post 1991 rules. Pre-1991 radios use more than twice the bandwidth of post 1991 radios,which means that the older radios interfere with adjacent channels in use by post 1991 radios.
    If the battery was left installed, you may have 'black rot; corrosion of the battery leads into the radio. When I resurrected a new+old-stock Futaba radio, I had to remove and replace the power wires leading to the circuit board.
    Check to see of the servo connectors on the RX are obsolete or still in use. It's getting difficult to find servos with obsolete connectors styles, like the old Futaba G.
    Jim
    Last edited by vasily; 09-18-2015, 03:04 PM. Reason: Oopd

Comment

• Chuck
      • May 2015

Vasily, thanks for the quick reply. I found out that the ACE Nautical Commander radio was manufactured in 1993, so it's narrow band. That brings me to my main questions, re: can an AM radio be converted to FM, or will AM work submerged, and will the positive shift ACE radio work with modern negative shift (ie; Futaba or Hitec compliant ) components? If so, the radio will be on it's way to Radio South for the modifications by this time next week. Thanks for any feedback.
      Chuck

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

Unless the radio has a separate RF module the modifications would not be easy or cost efficient I have been told.
        Never used AM under water.
        Positive and negitave radio equipment cannot be used together.
        BD
        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• Chuck
          • May 2015

BigDave.....Thank you very much. You answered the questions, and have saved me a lot of angst. Again, THANK YOU
          Chuck

Comment

Working...
          X