X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

Looking for ideas, and maybe collaboration in the future

A friend of mine brought up an idea and I figured I'd share it here incase anyone was interested and had some ideas.

Firstly, our surface friends have been able to use live steam for some time now, and while I don't use it for propulsion, I do have a stationary Momad power plant with boiler that is by far my favorite thing ever.

Now for the sub bit, my buddy is into building Stirling engines (miniature) and it got me thinking, could you take one and use it as AIP to power a sub? Granted, my knowledge about AIP systems is limited (I know more about steam, and enough to know not to use it on a sub), but would it be possible to R/C a sub with a AIP plant? Given the amount of ballast I'm using on the Oscar, and what is called for on larger subs, I don't "think" its weight would be an issue. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this yet?
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

AIP requires an oxygen source.
    Usually peroxide is used in submarines.
    How much would be needed to run the miniature Sterling and what would it's weigh and volume be?
    Assuming a big enough tank could be installed to get a reasonable run time, how would you counter the buoyancy as it is used up?
    The need for an internal, floodable ballast tank seems as it would be necessary.
    Also extra equipment for cooling maybe needed.

I like the idea of a Sterling but I am not sure of the practicality.
    This is because I understand the Sterlings but have no actually hands on with one.

This could be an interesting project to watch unfold.

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

It wouldn't be for a while, but I was thinking of E85 as a heat source, or butane, but with compressed atmospheric air as the oxidizer. I know the Gotlands are using ethanol and compressed air so it sounds like a good starting point. I've read about HMS Explorer and I'd rather not make a H2O2 bomb. My thinking was that the combustion chamber would have a one way exhaust valve, and because the air source would be compressed, the constant flow of air and fuel into the chamber would force the exhaust out. If I had a machine shop I could make the chamber with a steel core and aluminum shell and place it in the wet hull to absorb extra heat.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

This looks like it could be an interesting build.
        I'll be watching for sure.

Comment

• southern or
          • May 2014

It wouldn't be for a while, I'm STILL working on the Oscar, but this would need a lot more help to even begin to think about starting. As for the ballast problem, dynamic diving. That way when it runs out of gas it'll just pop back up rather then going to the bottom.

Comment

• southern or
            • May 2014

This is reminding me of when I was in elementary school, before health and safety took over. My 5th grade science experiment was a chemically propelled torpedo. Work pretty well too, aside from being 98% fuel.

Comment

Working...
            X