X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corsaire
    • Mar 2003

Dangers of Water Corrosion

Today I had a good run at my local lake, for about 1 1/2 hr or so, little did I know what was going to happen next, my radio connection went dead, luckily I had been running my boat parallel
    to shore, I thought first battery, I'm using a Lipo which started at 12.28V charge and after the run had 11.55V, so no way, hmmm, but upon closer inspection step by step I came to notice what you see in the pic, the WTC wires to the battery had corroded to the point of breakage. This is the only connector I had not shrink-wrapped but had it all RTVed.

Is this often the case that RTV doesn't necessarily insulate the wires from water corrosion? In any case how do you waterproof your wire connectors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	136461
  • drschmidt
    • Jul 2014

Anything electric that sees water gets sealed in epoxy. But looking at the connector: That's not a water tight design anyway?

Cheers Andreas

Comment

• corsaire
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by drschmidt View Post
      Anything electric that sees water gets sealed in epoxy. But looking at the connector: That's not a water tight design anyway?

Cheers Andreas
      I had it RTVed, the pic is showing it with the RTV already stripped by me. I'll use marine epoxy and RTV over it for a corrosion proof, thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X