• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

50.6" SeaQuest model for R/C

I'm finally getting serious about this project now that I've got my 3D printer dialed in properly.

I've been working with a gentleman down here in Florida who ended up in possession of the actual maquette they created and scanned for the TV series, which means that the 3D files we generated from it should be about as bang-on as you can get in terms of accuracy. I've always loved the series and have been wanting to do an R/C version of the boat for years, first inspired by a 10' long scratchbuild out of the UK.

Now, I'm nowhere near crazy enough to tackle a boat that large, so I elected from something a bit more transport-friendly while still offering a lot of room for electronic guts needed for real operation.

The work-in-progress will ultimately be around 50.6 inches in length. If the full-scale boat was 1,007 ft long (according to Wikipedia), then that would make this model around 1/250th scale (give or take).

I originally did a smaller version that is sitting on my shelf collecting dust. The size is just a bit too small for my liking, and the seams could have been handled a lot better, so I elected to have another go.

Here is the first model I made:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916_060638_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	136435Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916_060703_resized.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	136436Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916_060712_resized.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	136437Click image for larger version

Name:	20140922_204343_resized.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	136438

I really like the bigger size and I'm glad I bit the bullet and took the extra time. I'm managing a new section at a rate of about one per day, but I have a trip coming up that will take me out of the state for two weeks. I'm hoping that by the end of August I'll have the full boat printed, assembled, filled and primed, ready to mold and cast.

As I need at least two copies (one for me and one for my friend with the maquette), I'll go the route of molding and casting. If I didn't need to make more than one, I'd simply use the plastic parts that came off the printer as they're really tough and with good finish.

More to come soon! Here is a shot showing the 3D sections and the first few sections off the printer:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3D file.JPG
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	136439Click image for larger version

Name:	20150716_071715_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	136440
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Wow, Bob! How cool is THAT?!

JeffP

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

That's cool! I loved that show!

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

Wow,have always liked that sub.I have built the monogram kit of it. Let me know if you decide to sell any.

Comment

• bigdave
          • Feb 2003

Go Bob Go!
          U-da-Man
          sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
          "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• bob the builder
            Former SC President
            • Feb 2003

A couple more pieces!

I'm low on PLA filament, so this is likely as much as I'll get done over the next couple of weeks until I get back from my trip...
            Attached Files
            The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• scott t
              • Feb 2003

Also very cool.
              How tall are the printed lifts/sections you can print?

Scott T

Comment

• bob the builder
                Former SC President
                • Feb 2003

Scott,

Max build height is right around 6 inches or so. Width is closer to 8.

Comment

• bob the builder
                  Former SC President
                  • Feb 2003

More progress! I've got almost everything printed now except for the rear fins. Next steps are to fill sand and prime and see if I can get a nice pebbly texture on the model prior to molding.

I've enlisted the aid of Meriman to see what kind of crazy drive system we can come up with, likely a ducted pumpjet of some kind...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X