• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radioman
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jul 2015

1/144 Seawolf

Just finished reading some old posts on building the Seawolf. Found them to be very helpful.

This being my first sub build, many of my questions have been answered. Will post pictures as I start the build. I don't have the WTC yet, was thinking of making my own but the best way is to buy one it looks like.

Tom Radioman
  • Radioman
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jul 2015

Have started the build. Cutting flood holes and fitting the hull together.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	127894Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020460.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	127895Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020463.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	127896Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020466.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	127897

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Nice start. What have you learned from cutting out the flood holes?
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Radioman
        SubCommittee Member
        • Jul 2015

Salmon

They are a pain to cut out and file. Trying to cut them to the outlines. This is a first for me building a sub. Have built other ships.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

I am watching your progress.
          ----------------------
          Flood holes.
          They can be a pain to do.
          What I learned many years ago, was to make wooden blocks that are cut to the size of the finished hole.
          They are slightly tapered so they will fit in a under sized hole and then I can slowly file the hole bigger and the wooden block will go deeper in tothe flood hole until it is the correct size.
          If I should over file the hole, I can put wax on the wooden block and use it to put body putty to fill the over sized hole to the right size.

And here a couple of blocks are in the hull.
          The small flood hole in the back is not yet to correct size.
          Just a little more filing was needed.

I think this makes cutting in and sizing floods a little faster with fewer redo(s).

Comment

• Radioman
            SubCommittee Member
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
            I am watching your progress.
            ----------------------
            Flood holes.
            They can be a pain to do.
            What I learned many years ago, was to make wooden blocks that are cut to the size of the finished hole.
            They are slightly tapered so they will fit in a under sized hole and then I can slowly file the hole bigger and the wooden block will go deeper in tothe flood hole until it is the correct size.
            If I should over file the hole, I can put wax on the wooden block and use it to put body putty to fill the over sized hole to the right size.

And here a couple of blocks are in the hull.
            The small flood hole in the back is not yet to correct size.
            Just a little more filing was needed.

I think this makes cutting in and sizing floods a little faster with fewer redo(s).

I like your idea will give it a try. Never thought of using wax as a release agent just keep the suggestions coming need all the help I can get.

Comment

• Radioman
              SubCommittee Member
              • Jul 2015

Just to let everyone know I am still working on the sub. I have a few other projects going on also. a small carrier and the USS Balitmore.

Comment

Working...
              X