• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itolond
    • Jan 2004

Depth Sensor electronics

Hi forum,

not long ago I was chasing Subtech for a depth control unit, But it appears I was not fast enough. Needless to say my need has not vanished and in the essence of 'building your own boat' I wanted to see if i could find out what type of hydrostatic pressure sensor was used on the boards.
    I can build out the module but i am lost to see what was used to determine depth via pressure (i assume)

any guides, links and part numbers would be a great kicker....
  • southern or
    • May 2014

Engel's has several types of sensors. I'm still learning how to use it, but their LTR6 has a sensor and is a pitch and depth controller. The other system they offer is the TAE piston ballast tank Switch unit that has an optional static depth controller (TAES).

Hope that helps. My current project is using their TAE piston tank system without the TAES controller, but it does have the LTR6. The LTR6 also has a self leveler built in.
    Last edited by southern or; 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

Almost forgot, we have a page for vendors so be sure to check that out. RC-Sub Workshop also carries them.

Comment

• KevinMC
        SubCommittee Member
        • Sep 2005

I've got a depth control unit that I've been working on for a while now which uses a common absolute pressure transducer. (BMP085)

What's the "plane configuration" on your boat? (Are you looking to maintain depth from bow planes or stern planes?)
        Kevin McLeod - OSCAR II driver
        KMc Designs

Comment

• itolond
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by KevinMC View Post
          I've got a depth control unit that I've been working on for a while now which uses a common absolute pressure transducer. (BMP085)

What's the "plane configuration" on your boat? (Are you looking to maintain depth from bow planes or stern planes?)

I have not yet decided, first step was to ensure i can obtain data-then to act upon it.

As i understand step 1 in the create neutral buoyancy via ballast and trim tanks, then use planes to adjust depth if moving, if not then it would beed to be ballast?

Comment

• itolond
            • Jan 2004

the transducer is barometric- not hydrostatic- what is the configuration you have this setup ?

Comment

• KevinMC
              SubCommittee Member
              • Sep 2005

Correct - get your boat neutrality trimmed and let the control device "fly" it from there. I haven't worried about bringing ballast control into the fray, more complexity than necessary IMO.

Yes, I'm using a barometric sensor. I've constructed additional molded parts to go around the sensor to plumb it in to my boat as needed.
              KMc Designs

Comment

All the German boards I've seen incorporating depth sensors are designed to work with the angle keeper operating on the rear hydroplanes. I think the purpose is to eliminate any oscillation which can still be a problem on some models fitted with a leveller only, and also it allows hands off depth control.

The Subtech unit was somewhat unique in that it could be used for front or rear vanes. Michael Stothers (microgyros) also did a small unit that worked in the same way, AFAIK that unit is now out of production, although he may have one or two units tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

Most model submariners are happy with a leveller alone, and find they can keep good periscope depth manually.

Comment

• southern or
                  • May 2014

I guess I'm confused on what you want.

Comment

• bwi
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by sub culture View Post
                    All the German boards I've seen incorporating depth sensors are designed to work with the angle keeper operating on the rear hydroplanes. I think the purpose is to eliminate any oscillation which can still be a problem on some models fitted with a leveller only, and also it allows hands off depth control.

The Subtech unit was somewhat unique in that it could be used for front or rear vanes. Michael Stothers (microgyros) also did a small unit that worked in the same way, AFAIK that unit is now out of production, although he may have one or two units tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

Most model submariners are happy with a leveller alone, and find they can keep good periscope depth manually.
                    Indeed Andy that's why I bought the one from subtech (just before they closed business) so I could connect it to the bow planes. I'm on the lookout now for something similar for my future projects.

Kevin, I understand you have something similar (connection to the bow planes). Is it on the market? Can't find it aside the ADF2.

Grtz,
                    Bart
                    Last edited by bwi; 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM.
                    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"
                    http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

• itolond
                      • Jan 2004

Correct - get your boat neutrality trimmed and let the control device "fly" it from there. I haven't worried about bringing ballast control into the fray, more complexity than necessary IMO.

Yes, I'm using a barometric sensor. I've constructed additional molded parts to go around the sensor to plumb it in to my boat as needed.
                      Can you share on what you have done in this respect

Comment

• KevinMC
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bwi View Post
                        Indeed Andy that's why I bought the one from subtech (just before they closed business) so I could connect it to the bow planes. I'm on the lookout now for something similar for my future projects.

Kevin, I understand you have something similar (connection to the bow planes). Is it on the market? Can't find it aside the ADF2.

Grtz,
                        Bart
                        Hi Bart - I'm sorry I missed your question here. Are you interested in my depth controlling device or my bowplane controller?
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMC
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by itolond View Post
                          Can you share on what you have done in this respect
                          Not much to tell here - the barometric sensor is just a chip that mounts to the board with no way to pipe a "pressure pick-up" tube to it. I solved that by making a housing with a hollow "stem" on it for the pressure pick-up that I glue over the sensor.
                          KMc Designs

Comment

Working...
                          X