• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

1/72 Charlie I scratch build

<<Originally psoted by "598602G">>

Guys first time on here. Old ex pink jocky on the USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602 (G). Way back in the late 70's stationed out of Guam. I normally build kits/scratch build RC jets but wanted an unusual boat. First off my thanks go out to Vladimir of Scale Ships as he sent me a ton of drawings for the Charlie I and Romeo. So if y'all need the drawings let me know. Had the build on RC Groups but they didn't seem interested. I figured the Charlie as that was the Soviets first tear drop hull plus those boats were roaming the oceans when I was in. So I am going old school on build. Took blue foam and shaped the sail and hull. Glassed the sail with 5 layers of 6oz cloth and last layer was 2.5oz cloth. Used tooling resin that I am using on my scratch built 1/8 Mig-21MF. Basically all I did was enlarge drawings to 1/72, cut out drawings and used 3M77 to glue to hull and sail. Shaped them and glassed. Hull need to be glassed. Going to use 6 layers of 6oz cloth and tooling resin. I made the stern and rudder planes out of casting resin. Going to make my own WTC with glass cloth and resin. Access to WTC will be lexan covers.

Rohr 1.....Los!
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

<<Originally posted by "598602G">>

Here is the plug for the WTC. Shaped it out of blue foam. Next I just put 2 coats of zpoxy finishing resin on foam. Do a final sanding. Then glue the 2 1/8 birch wood bulk heads to the ends of WTC. Then start laying up glass cloth on foam plug.

Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
    X