X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommydeen
    • Nov 2003

soldering

has anybody soldered stainless if so what is the technique I know there is different flux and solder as well. there isn't much on soldering stainless out there
    post a link if you have one
    thanks tom
    sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Re: soldering

Tom,

I use Staybrite solder (and the flux that comes with it) for both brass and stainless. No special or different technique needed for the stainless. Works great...no issues.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tommydeen
      • Nov 2003

and your soldering stainless to stainless? I will give staybrite a try I have lots of that stuff it works great on brass
      I went to a local welding shop and they told me "stayclean" flux was made for soldering stainless

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

Yup...been doing it for years. Works just fine. Also good for stainless to brass.

I started out using the usually recommended 'industrial' solder and flux, but didn't like the higher temperatures that it required. The Staybrite is a low temperature silver solder and works well with the usual hobbyist-level solder irons/torches.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

There you go Tom, now get to soldering! You have a sub to finish!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• tommydeen
            • Nov 2003

so I gave it a try....first I sanded the substrate, then I put some of the flux (stay clean) on. when I first heated the stainless it just melted the solder in to a ball so I added more flux reheated the stainless that's when the solder flowed out onto the metal.. it seems the solder and flux will only work at a specific temp to cold the solder balls up and to hot does the same thing and cooks the flux off . the solder flowed right before the flux started to turn brown.
            Jeff is you have any other tips im missing out on please share
            thanks Tom

Comment

Working...
            X