DIY End caps videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY End caps videos

Part one. Deals with o-rings, best choice of material- pros and cons and how they're sized e.g.dimensions.

This video goes over the basics of what you need to know about o-rings used to effect a watertight seal on a cylinder inside a model submarine. It requires n...

Re: DIY End caps videos

Okay here is part two This about an hour and a quarter long, so make yourself a brew. Once again this will be old news to more experienced practioners, but I've aimed these films at beginners. I do assume basic understanding of lathework e.g. centreing tools, using chucks etc. If you have no idea about using a lathe, then there are some excellent books available which give good instruction, or alternatively you can book yourself an evening course at a local college for some personal instruction. The last half an hour of the film shows the end cap being turned in real time, so you can see all the processes involved. It's straightforward and basic turning.

In part two we explore the two main methods of mounting a reliable o-ring seal on a cylinder using either axial or radial compression. Also covered is endcap...

Comment

Last part. This shows the second end cap being machined using a mandrel, and the completed cylinder.

Final part in the end caps series of films. This shows the stages in making an end cap using a mandrel.and also a few details on how to fit them in the cylin...

Comment

• bwi
        SubCommittee Member
        • Jun 2013

I will take your advice on the % for making my O-ring recess in the cover for my vacuum tank. Thks for sharing this.

Grtz,
        Bart
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"
        http://scale-submarine.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
        X