X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurt250
    • Jul 2012

painting photo-etch brass parts

is there any tricks i should know before i start painting? this is my first time iv'e used photo-etch parts and i want to paint them soon. thanks for any help. kurt250

Re: painting photo-etch brass parts

Either use an etch primer or dip them in ferric chloride before putting the first coat of primer on. This provides a key for the paint. If you don't do this, the paint will chip off with handling. This goes for any metal parts BTW, not just photoetched.

Comment

• kurt250
      • Jul 2012

thanks subculture, what is and were do i get ferric chloride? sorry, i'm new to this stuff. kurt250

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

Kurt,

Ferric chloride is (also) used for PCB etching....so stores like Radio Shack carry it in their electronics section.

As an alternative, you can also lightly sand the surface to be painted with a 320-400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. It doesn't take a lot to create the desired 'tooth' for paint to adhere well.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

I find ebay is also very useful for purchasing stuff like ferric chloride. You can get it ready mixed in abottle, or buy it as crystals which you can mix up yourself. This is generally the cheapest way to purchase it, as the shipping cost is lower. I buy mine that way, mix it up and store it in an old plastic coke bottle. When I want to use it, I have some old plastic trays I pour it into.

Be aware that this stuff will stain clothing, skin and anything else it comes into contact with- definitely not a job you want to be doing in the house if you value your crown jewels!

Sodium persulphate is another etchant that works, and unlike ferric chloride, it is clear. Unfortunately, I understand it doesn't last as long. I use the down and dirty ferric chloride.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Just to add to what Sub Culture said, I have two cups when I use ferric chloride, one cup holds the acid and the other has water with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in it. Once I am doe etching my part, I dip it in the saturated solution of baking soda to neutralize the acid.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

I must be honest and say I have never done that. I just rinse it water when I consider the surface has been etched adequately. That's not to say it isn't best practice however.

Comment

Working...
              X