What cfolor is HMS Vanguard's Propeller (or whatever it is)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cfolor is HMS Vanguard's Propeller (or whatever it is)?

All,

I'm building a static model of the HMS Vanguard, the Bronco 1/350 scale kit. I know that the propeller (or whatever it's really called) is a top "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you" secret, but does anyone have any idea what color I should paint thing? I assume the outer ring would be the hull color. But there is a fan-like thing in the ring and sort of star-ish bit in front of that. What is a legitimate color for those parts?

Thanks,

Art

Re: What cfolor is HMS Vanguard's Propeller (or whatever it is)?

As you know these things are kept under very close wraps. Even some of the boats own crew are kept in the dark about these things.

The star-ish thing is a post swirl stator.

What I do know is that these things are changed over the life of the boat, and that Rolls Royce make the propulsors (this is public knowledge). Rolls Royce have also stated they are using composites, although I would suspect this is applied more to the shroud than the propulsor.

I'd be surprised if the propulsor is made from something other than a bronze alloy, so perhaps a goldy/ bronze colour. That's my best guess.

Comment

• tabledancer
      • Feb 2005

Re: What cfolor is HMS Vanguard's Propeller (or whatever it is)?

The prop on the Alfa is titanium just like the hull.I couldn`t find that color so I painted the prop a dirty steel color.What I did was mix the steel color with some dirty thinner that was used to clean brushes and that what I would think the the titanium would look like after being exposed to elements and abuse of a submarine prop.Of course I build my models as they would appear in normal everyday use and not as they say"showroom condition".

TD

Comment

Working...
      X