X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramius-ii
    • Apr 2003

Epoxy Removal?

I just finished inserting some parts to some holes in the fiberglass hull. Apparently the tape used did not stick as well as I expected and now there is a think layer of the T-88 epoxy where I do not wish it to be. Sanding the excess is one option and I would like to avoid this as I have a fear of accidently removing the scribe lines. Is there any other way to remove the excess?

Thanks, Ed
  • pirate
    • Oct 2005

If it was quick cure

If it was quick cure epoxy, usually 5-minute epoxy, you can try soaking it in water. That quick-set stuff is not water proof and may loosen and be able to be popped off, but it may take a while of soaking—days. Otherwise, break out the Dremel.

Pete

Comment

• xxl
      • Jul 2008

Re: Epoxy Removal?

dermel o yeah

Comment

• ricknelson
        • Dec 2006

Re: Epoxy Removal?

I recently purchased an "Epoxy Remover" ($14 per pint) by PTI Process Chemicals through McMaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3340/=4ymvoa

I have not tried it yet but it might do the trick. The instructions read: "First test epoxy remover for suitability on a small area. If suitable immerse or coat parts thoroughly. Remove epoxy when softened. Softening time will vary with the epoxy type and thickness."

Good Luck and please let me know how it works if you try it.

Comment

Working...
        X