X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

Service Life upgrade for your old ATC2K action cam

A friend of mine made a nice vid with a newer action cam, which has an improved
    (wider) angle of view.
    My ATC2K has tunnel vision.

Therefore I modded the thing, and I think I succeeded nicely.
    viewing angle underwater went from 22 to 35 degrees, at the
    expense of about 10 dollars

have a look : http://www.instructables.com/id/wide...2K-action-cam/
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

I managed to get our

I managed to get our site a bit of exposure in the process

For those that have them, the ATC2K action camera is a decent little piece of equipment. It is waterproof and can save video for roughly 30 minutes on a flash card. The viewing angle of the lens le…

Comment

Excellent modification.

I've ordered myself a

Excellent modification.

I've ordered myself a couple of jelly lenses off ebay. I'll have a go at the flycamone2 as well.

One thing. The manufacturers website lists the field of view as 42 degrees with 48 degrees for the ATC3K.

Comment

• raalst
        • Feb 2003

thanks andy,

can you explain

thanks andy,

can you explain your last sentence ? what manufacturer ? Oregon Scientific or the jelly lense co. ?
        it is true that ATC3K and ATC5K have standard a wider field of view than the ATC2K.
        what the exact specs are I do not know.

Comment

The specs I stated are

The specs I stated are from Oregon Scientific. The ATC2K is listed as having a 42 degree FOV and the ATC3K 48 degrees, which isn't a massive difference.

Looking at your mod, I reckon the wide angle lens is about equivalent to a 0.7 wide angle converter. So the new FOV for the ATC2k should be about 55 degrees.

Comment

• raalst
            • Feb 2003

I did a crude measurement

I did a crude measurement and published video's of a ruler, so you can count the
            number of mm's in frame (check the last page of the instructable) distance to the ruler was about 240 mm.

if my math skills are still intact I guess this is a viewing angle of
            30 deg. atc2k plain in air
            50 deg. atc2k with lens in air
            22 deg atc2k plain in water
            35 deg atc2k with lens in water
            respectively.

the plain vanilla in-air case seems not to come close to what the site apparently says.
            your prediction about the in-air with-lense case is correct, methinks.

basically with the lens your view underwater is as good as the plain vanilla atc2k
            above water.

a matter of definition : these angles are from side to side, in the instructable I calculated angles from center to side.

Comment

Working...
            X