X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Foam Sculpting Tool.

Doing some work on my dolphin boat I was using a tool I came up with to sculpt foam. It is very simple and cheap.
    When I need to remove sections of foam from the inside of the hull when using the lost foam method this works great. It is basically a 100watt-soldering gun and some custom bent 12-gage wire. You can get these real cheap at places like Harbor Freight.
    Just remove the stock iron tip and replace it with the 12-gage wire bent to whatever shape you need. It will take a minute or so for the wire to heat up enough. This beats trying to cut it out with a knife. When I get it down to a smaller amount of foam left I melt the rest out with Acetone. In this boat I wanted to leave a good amount of foam in the front for emergency floatation. This tool made it easy to scoop out the front and leave what I wanted to save. BD.
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Nice work, BD. Aside from

Nice work, BD. Aside from stores using them to cut and seal the ends of nylon rope, that is the first and only good use I have ever seen for that type of gun. In fact, I'm kinda ticked that I never thought of doing that. To take it one step further, that iron might even be made to power a more traditional hot wire foam cutter. Lots of possibilities suggesting themselves here.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• mylo
      • Aug 2005

Agreed,

.....I believe I know

Agreed,

.....I believe I know what I'm going to do with my soldering gun.

One foam cutting tool with multiple / exchangable wires, coming up.

Thanks BD, simple little suggestion, fantastic idea and yes, I feel somewhat stupid for not thinking of it without "help".

Mylo

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

Thanks Guys! I have about

Thanks Guys! I have about 5 different sizes and shapes. The longer the wire the longer it will take to heat. The wire I am using is 12 gage copper house wire. If you go too thin on the wire you could melt it. Unless you are using Nicrome wire. Just be careful. BD.

Comment

• Larry Kuntz
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

Nice piece of work BD.

Nice piece of work BD. A suggestion, if you need the wire to be stiffer and straighter I use a technique called "spinning" Simply put, you anchor one end of the wire in a vise and the other to a hand drill. It's like bending a piece of copper wire back and forth. It eventually becomes hard and breaks. Slowly give it a few turns, the more you turn it the more brittle it becomes. Low and behold a harder and straight piece of wire, and still able to be formed. Works great for any time you need a very straight piece of wire from coiled soft wire.
          "What goes down does not always come back up"

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

Thanks Larry. Very interesting. http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_wink.gif

Thanks Larry. Very interesting. BD.

Comment

Working...
            X