• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Small parts treasure trove...

On a hunch, I recently decided to tear apart an old, non-functional computer printer to see what kind of parts I could scavenge. What a find!

It's chock full of great stuff such as]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Hi Bob. I've also torn

Hi Bob. I've also torn apart printers. Don't overlook the tiny switches on the circuit boards. In most cases, you can forget about the motors with more that 2 wires i.e. those with 4 or more. These are stepping motors that require control circuitry. The power supplies from the printers can also yield voltage regulators and support components for BECs.

You may also try tearing down CD-ROMs for rack and pinion components (linear drive conversion for servos?) and 3.5" floppy drives for worm gear drives. Most of the motors from the drives are 3 to 6 vDC. Computer mother boards have fans and heatsinks which can be used to supplement speed controller cooling.

Ed Bynon
    SC #1068

Comment

• robse
      • Mar 2003

... and I can report

... and I can report that my old pile of old harddisk's (80 Mb --> 200 Mb) had ALOT of bearings and stuff in them, really worth the time to take apart. (My condolances to IBM, Conner and Seagate )

I ended up with an entire box full of all kinds of metal rings, ball bearings, brackets, spacers, a trilion bolts and screws etc. Between the disks are some aluminium rings, perfect for medium diameter tube supports. Also inside, some PRETTY strong but small magnets......

... just an idea.

Edited By Robse on 1050049101

Comment

• raalst
        • Feb 2003

another target for demolition ]

[color=#000000]another target for demolition ]

Comment

• guardian
          • Mar 2003

cd players yield small motors

cd players yield small motors and gears ,fax machines yeild tons of gears and motors and led's,

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X