• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

how do YOU make a waterproof on/off switch

Hi all,

any opinions on how to make an effective on-off switch ?

I would like to hear from you if you made your on-off
    switch yourself.

Personally, I would like the switch to kill ALL electronics,
    not just the receiver. hence I would need a switch that
    can switch a lot of amps.

(And I know about the ready-made reed-relay/magnet
    solution, it only kills the receiver. And the relays used in
    that can stand a max of 2 to 5 amps, not enough.)

curiously yours,

Well you could use a

Well you could use a higher current relay, or perhaps use a transisterised design utilising a high current MOSFET.

Andy

Comment

I use a lead acid

I use a lead acid battery outside the WTC - this supplies everything. So removing a spade terminal at the battery is my switch. Not very elegant but effective

David

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

I use a proximity switch

I use a proximity switch with a small magnet to control my system which uses a max of 7.2 volts.
        TD

Comment

This is how I did

This is how I did it with my D&E 3.0...Just a switch with a waterproof boot. Cuts the power from the battery.

Nothing fancy- Lyle

Edited By Atomic Subs on 1141840355

Comment

• JWLaRue
            Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
            • Aug 1994

Lyle,

...it looks like your WTC

Lyle,

...it looks like your WTC is happy to see you!

Here's another way to make the switch. I placed a simple slider switch in a one inch diameter acrylic tube, made two end caps, and then used a BHS seal for the actuating shaft. The shaft is connected to the capstan on the deck of the Type VII. Pull it up and power is turned off, push it down and it's on.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Jeff,

Thats cool!

Lyle

Jeff,

Thats cool!

Lyle

Comment

• tmsmalley
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Lyle -
                It looks like

Lyle -
                It looks like you use a spring loaded closure of some sort at the bow to keep top and bottom halves together. Can you tell us about that?

Tim

Comment

• bigdave
                  • Feb 2003

I am doing the S/W

I am doing the S/W thing with my new XV11b battery tube WTC. It has a waterproof S/W cover. It mounts in the bottom of the sub, and I can access the S/W from one of the vent holes. BD.

Edited By Bigdave on 1141908771
                  sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
                  "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• tabledancer
                    • Feb 2005

Jeff'
                    I still say that you

Jeff'
                    I still say that you are a "subvert" but I like your ideas.After we discussed your switch idea last year I tried to use it in my Type VIIC conversion,but not enough room.It will be used on my next boat which will be bigger.
                    TD

Comment

• cyclops2
                      • Mar 2006

Raalst.
                      What is the

Raalst.
                      What is the maxumum running current ?

Comment

• raalst
                        • Feb 2003

I design for 5 amps,

I design for 5 amps, but I expect it to be about 2 amps peak.

power is from 6 AA rechargeable batteries, soldered
                        together.

Comment

• crazy ivan
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

I use a miniature toggle

I use a miniature toggle switch rated at 5 amps mounted inside the WTC. I connected a brass rod to the toggle to activate it and ran it out the end cap through a regular 1/8 in. pushrod seal to the outside.

Edited By Crazy Ivan on 1141946263
                          sigpic
                          "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• robse
                            • Mar 2003

My "on/off" etc:

Hi
                            I came up with the following idea for my scratch build 1:81 Ohio, and thought that you guys might be interested in it. Finding a watertight switch that was not too big, nor heavy, proved difficult. I therefore choose a reed relay. It's a relay that's activated with a loose magnet, like a "key" without which the sub can not be turned on..

This module goes under the hatch in the missile deck.
                            The left reed-relay is the "On / Off", the right reed-relay is the "Dive disable / enable" switch. The two loose magnets are the activation "keys" for these switches. (Which drives relays within WTC1)
                            The round stereo jack socket in the middle, is for the charge plug for the batteries.

The four holes are for cable ties.
                            The black fork-shaped piece holds the magnet "key" in place when fitted, and missing is only some sort of snap lock, securing the "key" when inserted. Here one of the "keys" has been inserted for illustration.

This is the lower side, showing the two blocks that holds the reed-relays in place. A slot was filed in the aluminum, allowing a secure fit of the reed-relays. (They are shaped just as the magnet "keys", but has got wires coming out of them.
                            The gold plated stereo jack (recharge plug), and the reed-relay wires, will be fitted with the wires from WTC1 shortly.

This shows where the control panel goes under the hatch. (not shown, hinge is not done.) When the sub is surfaced, this will be above the waterline, thus allowing charging while in the water.

This image shows the control panel temporary fitted within the hull, and with the hatch placed on top of the missile deck. The little white blick that sticks out from the left side of the hole, holds a small magnet. Another magnet is molded into the hatch, thus the hatch is pretty well "shut and locked" when closed. (If I turned the magnets the right way around, that is...)
                            Of cause the hinge will go under the missile deck, but this shows pretty well the general idea.

The brass arms was bend in one piece after sticking it through the hinge base. (White block) The ends of this brass rod ends in the two red blocks mounted on the lower side of the open hatch. The arc of the brass rods follows the circle that the moving hinge draws when operated, thus making them appear static.

Well.. hope I inspired someone. Drop me a mail if you've got any questions, I'll be happy to share details.

Comment

• raalst
                              • Feb 2003

nifty !

I am afraid I

nifty !

I am afraid I resorted to lo-tech.
                              In the end I used a normal switch, which can be reached
                              via the front WTC endcap.
                              I glued a coca cola bottle cap onto the endcap. so you can remove
                              the bottle cap and then (just barely) operate the switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X