X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Simple Shop Filter - Kill Dust!!

I thought I would post another tip I have for making a cheap shop filter.
    Dust can be a real problem in model shops and this is a useful tool. All you need is a suitable Tupperware or Rubbermaid plastic container, a furnace filter, and one or more muffin fans. The size does not really matter; it is what you can get cheap.
    I used a Rubbermaid snap lid container about 24"x18"x6" and a filter about the same size. I cut an opening in the lid just a little smaller than the filter. I just duct tape the filter in place over the hole. On the bottom of the container I mounted four 5" surplus 110-volt muffin fans. You can pick them up cheap, and they are quiet. The four of them will suck a lot of air through the filter.
    I just wired them together and mounted the unit to the shop ceiling. Snap the lid on and you are ready to collect that dust!! I check the filter and replace it when it is dirty. I have the collector set up so when I turn on my lights, the fans will start. This is easy to do and really works well. BD.

Edited By Bigdave on 1141405405
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

This is the lid with

This is the lid with the filter.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Dave,

...now that is really cool!

And

Dave,

...now that is really cool!

And for us types with lots of old, unused PCs...getting muffin fans is a snap.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

Dave,
        Should a person that would

Dave,
        Should a person that would install this"aircleaner"be concerned with the flamablity of the dust and vapors that would be directed against the unshieded fan motor circuts.I would hate to see you get yourself blown up over this good idea.Excuse the caution,but I`ve seen to many accidents over the years working with volatile and flammable products to take safety lightly.
        TD

Comment

• bigdave
          • Feb 2003

Good point TD. But by

Good point TD. But by the time the air goes past the fans it is filtered, and muffin fans are really incased well. The motors are inside the fan assembly. As for the flammable vapors, I would not use the filter as a vapor filter. If the concentration of vapors were enough to ignite I would not be in the room. I don't do any spraying of that type in the room. I have an externally vented spray booth for that. But good point, you can never be to safe. BD.

Comment

• tabledancer
            • Feb 2005

It is still a great

It is still a great idea,I think that I might try to modifie your plan a little to suit my needs.I need to have a system to clear vapors from the area as I am very sensetive to CA vapors from using it so much when I was model railroading.I have to wear a respirator and goggles when I use that stuff.
            TD
            PS Any more progress on the twin shaft WTC.

Comment

• boss subfixer
              • Aug 2004

Another version of this is

Another version of this is to use a box fan with the filters taped to the intake side. I like your idea dave, it's K.I.S.S. all the way.
              TD for flammable vapors you could use a squirrel cage blower like the one for the heater in you car or truck. Just use dryer ducting on either end. If you use a 12 volt one from a car then you can use a converted computer power supply to run it and you get the added feature of three to four speeds.
              Himszy knows of a site that can show you how to convert the power supply.

Edited By Boss subfixer on 1141496650

Comment

• himszy
                • Nov 2004

Himszy knows of a site

Himszy knows of a site that can show you how to convert the power supply.
                The link is in the thread]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469452[/url]

Been using it now for quite some time now and it still seems to be working really well. Only just powerful enough though(on the 12V output).

Michael

Comment

• tabledancer
                  • Feb 2005

Don,
                  I don`t have a problem

Don,
                  I don`t have a problem with flammable vapors,as I paint somewhere else,my problem is the organic vapors from the killer CA.I have thought about the squirrel cage with a filter something like Daves.I`ll have to work out the ducting problems.I already have a converter,that I picked up to drive my charger so thats no problem,but thanks for the thought anyway.
                  TD

Comment

• Larry Kuntz
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Feb 2003

On the subject of flammable

On the subject of flammable vapors, be careful using 12 volt car blowers as these have brushes which create sparks. Sparks and vapors don’t mix well. Most small 120 VAC motors are of the induction type, no brushes, no commutator, no slip rings, they just use transformer action to induce power in the armature. The muffin fans Dave used are likely this type, hence fairly safe. These are probably the better choice, outside of cost prohibitive explosion proof motors.
                    Next thing Dave will be selling...

Edited By Larry Kuntz on 1141674662
                    "What goes down does not always come back up"

Comment

• xxl
                      • Jul 2008

looks good

looks good

Comment

• petn7
                        • Jun 2003

Marine bilge blowers can be

Marine bilge blowers can be used to reduce ignition risk of possible flammable vapors.

Comment

Working...
                        X