X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Sanding - Tools

I have another nice tip for making good sanding tools.
    I like using the foam back stick type sanding tools. They have semi-hard flexible foam inside with sanding material bonded to the outside. The only problem with them is they don't last long before the grit is worn off.
    What I do is buy the cheap ones at a Dollar Store and add better paper. I like the Norton 3X paper. It is the best sand paper I have ever used. You will spend about $4 for 3 sheets, but you will love this stuff. It cuts better and just does not die! I just use medium CA and glue it right over the abrasive that comes on the cheap sanders. When they finally do were out I just glue another layer over the worn paper. I keep them in different grits and trim them to different shapes. They work great! BD.
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K
  • richbohlman
    • Jan 2006

Nice Tip! - THANKS!

Nice Tip! - THANKS!

Comment

• tmsmalley
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Hi Dave - I've never

Hi Dave - I've never used one of those blocks - do you have to spraymount the paper on the block or is it tacky?
      Tim

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

The paper comes already mounted

The paper comes already mounted to the foam. But the stock paper is not that good so I glue the Norton 3X paper over the stock. You can see the sticks on the left are stock Squadron sanding sticks, which are nice but expensive. The ones on the right are the cheap ones purchased from a Dollar store for doing nails. The top one is stock; the others have the Norton paper glued on. The other photo shows a side view. You can see the foam inside and the sandpaper outside.

Edited By Bigdave on 1140362466

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

Great! Thanks for the pics.

Great! Thanks for the pics. I guess I had better head over to the Dollar Store!

I have been using pieces of wet-or-dry paper folded in half and bonded with some CA. After it cures, I trim the edges on a paper cutter and have some nice small but stiff sanding tools.

Fold a piece of paper in half.

Apply CA

Apply pressure to the bonded paper until CA cures (a few seconds usually does it) then trim to desired size.

Viola! finished sanding tool.

Thanks to Dave M3 for this tip.

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

I have those as well.

I have those as well. They don't tend to slip out of your fingers as much when you have the grit on both sides.

Comment

Working...
            X