X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Cutting ABS Plastic

Just wanted to pass along a good tool I use to cut ABS plastic. Dremel sells a abrasive wheel that is about 15/16 DIA and about .025 thick. They are usually sold in packs of 20-25 I think. Always by them in the packs as they do not take side loads well and will shatter if pushed. You may go through a few. I use a small adjustable speed rotory tool. Yary the speed depending on the thickness of the plactic. I would not go much over .060-.080 thickness. Get the speed right and it will zip through the ABS with a nice clean controlable cut. I would experiment with scrap first. This beats the long process of going over and over with a sharp knife till it cuts through. I have used this on the Subtech and Dumas hulls with great results. You can not do complex curves but for long or slightly curved cuts it's easy.
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Dave old buddy, don't forget

Dave old buddy, don't forget the neat trick you taught me for punching out all those square limber holes in an ABS hull. Just take a short length of square K&S brass tubing of the appropriate size. Use an X-acto knife to trim the inside edges to a sharp chisel edge. Heat the end with a small butane torch until just more than slightly warm (don't burn your fingers ) and you can push it through to make a nice clean hole. Practice on a scrap piece of ABS first to get a feel for the right amount of heat. I used a length of 3/4 inch wood dowel to make a handle. It gives better control and protects the fingers nicely.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• bigdave
      • Feb 2003

Thanks Crazy, I had thought

Thanks Crazy, I had thought about that one also but you beat me to it. But with your natural flair for words explained it better that I would have. Don't forget you can also use that trick for scribing shapes into plastic. If you just heat the tool less and do not push through it will leave a nice imprint in the size you have chosen. Great for making hatches.
      sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
      "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

Working...
      X