Paint - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revell and Humbrol make oil

Revell and Humbrol make oil based and acrylic based paints. Both are designed for use with plastics, so will work fine on your Type VII.

Be careful about mixing acrylic and oil based paints. You can paint oil based on top of acrylic, but not vice-versa- the acrylic reacts with the oil base paint.

Also don't discount the Tamiya range of acrylics.

A paint to avoid on plastic models is cellulose base. You can use these paints, but you must use a special plastics primer first. If the cellulose gets into direct contact with the plastic, it'll melt it.

Andy

Comment

• kapleun val
      • Jun 2005

thanks, its just i have

thanks, its just i have loads of humbrol and revell paints from when i made model planes and tanks, i have looked into the tamiya paints as they have some usefull colours in a spray can, im worried about loosing detail by spraying but having brush strokes if i paint by hand

Comment

• paul von braun
        • Jun 2004

All you really need is

All you really need is a cheap model spray gun (unless you are doing airbrushed weathering and such like). I got mine for about £10 - humbrol/revell, any common or garden model shop should stock one. You will also need a can of propellant (about £5 or £6).
        Dont forget to thin your paint to the consistancy of 'milk' before you spray - I use ordinary white spirit and have done so since I was teenager, with good results. If you want to do any weathering, consider dry brushing by hand.

Paul.

Comment

• kapleun val
          • Jun 2005

excellent thanks! jsut got to

excellent thanks! jsut got to get teh gun and propellent as ive got litres of white spirit floating around the house! not really sure why ive got it all really! hummm!!!

the "other" paul

Comment

• paul von braun
            • Jun 2004

Paul,
            I used a can

Paul,
            I used a can of halfords grey primer as a base coat on my girlfriends revell flower class corvette - it didnt attack the polystyrene. It does attack expanded polystyrene, however. You can safely use enamels over the top of the primer (cellulose paint), but not the primer on top of the enamel paint - it will end up as goo.

In summary - cellulose grey primer as a base, then sprayed enamels over the top of that.

Paul.

Dont take my word as gospel - try it on a bit of scrap plasticard first if you feel wary.

Comment

The Halford range of paints

The Halford range of paints are acrylic based. I find they cover very well, with far less shrinkage than cellulose, but like everything else at Halfrauds- ££££££££!!

Andt

Comment

• PaulC
                Administrator
                • Feb 2003

I've been meaning to jump

[color=#000000]I've been meaning to jump in on the primer aspect of this thread since I've been in the industrial paint industry for the past 15 years. The primer's main function is to adhere to the substrate, in our case a GRP hull. And whether you have a polyester or epoxy lay-up, an epoxy primer will do the best job. It is extremely tough, chemical resistant, and will adhere far beyond our operational requirements. It is also readily available and affordable when compared to automotive lacquer primers.

Once applied, an epoxy primer will accept any type of topcoat, hobby or otherwise. The primer must be sanded first prior to application to ensure the topcoat will bond properly. Two other things cause topcoats to fail over certain primers]

Edited By PaulC on 1122296566
                Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                <><

Comment

• wayne frey
                  • Aug 2003

Good words Paul.
                  Having seen

Good words Paul.
                  Having seen your boats I can tell the committee they are first rate!
                  Of course, if the curious would come to Sub Ron 5 in august (shameless plug), you could see them there......

Comment

• tommydeen
                    • Nov 2003

Yes Paul!! it worked for

Yes Paul!! it worked for me real good! that epoxy primer is good stuff. after curing and sanding floquile layed onto the hull very well. one word of caution when you paint with epoxy
                    you MUST WEAR A RESPORATOR not those cheapy masks you get five in a pack for a few bucks and like all spray painting,
                    paint in a well ventalated area.

Tom
                    sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

• PaulC
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2003

Hi Tom,

That's great about your

Hi Tom,

That's great about your paint job. Glad to hear it.

We still need to talk - I want to hear more about your Denver regatta.
                      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                      <><

Comment

Hey guys,

Which primer do you

Hey guys,

Which primer do you use? Where do you pick it up?

Thanks!
                        Chris

Comment

Paul,

Are those epoxy primers two-pack

Paul,

Are those epoxy primers two-pack based?

Most two-pack paint systems here in the UK contain cyanates, which is very nasty stuff. Therefore these paints are sprayed using an air-fed mask.

They do provide a superior finish, but I think folk should be made aware of any dangers to their health.

Andy

Comment

• PaulC
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2003

Andy,

I'm talking about two part

[color=#000000]Andy,

I'm talking about two part catalyzed polyamide epoxy primer. I use one with a 4]
                            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                            <><

Comment

• PaulC
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2003

Just thinking]

[color=#000000]Just thinking]
                              Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
                              <><

Comment

I must be honest and

I must be honest and say that when it come to wearing masks and such, I'm a little naughty. However I do tend to paint in the fresh air, and I have an evacuator in the workshop.

Comment

Working...
                                X