• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Making a circle with brass wire

Guys,

Anyone know any efficient bench "tricks" to bending 1/16" brass wire into a smooth circle, say 3/4" in diameter (without buying some magic wire circle bender tool from Micro-Mark)?

Edited By PaulC on 1110912379
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Heat it well with a

Heat it well with a blow torch. Allow to cool, this will anneal the brass rod, and make it very easy to work.

Find a former (mandrel) of the diameter you wish to replicate. With that diameter of rod, you should be able to bend it round with your fingers. As you work the brass, it will work harden, so just heat it up again if it gets too stiff to work easily.

The ends may want a little persuasion with a plastic mallet (take it easy), then just trim back the rod and solder the ends (I prefer to silver solder thicker brass, although soft solder will be more than adequate).

Andy

Comment

• PaulC
      Administrator
      • Feb 2003

Thanks, Andy!

I appreciate the help

Thanks, Andy!

I appreciate the help (I knew I would find it here).
      Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
      <><

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

I agreee with Andy...but offer

I agreee with Andy...but offer this observation]slightly[/i] smaller in diameter than what I want the finished part to be. The brass rod is wrapped around the mandrel (at least) twice and the ends pulled to make the rod tight against the mandrel. The use of an undersized mandrel allows the brass to spring back slightly and still be the right size.

Cut and then solder the ends together to get a perfect circle. Exactly what one needs when building U-boat periscope shears!

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Jeff,

I do find a lot

Jeff,

I do find a lot of the brass stock available, for instance, in model shops is quite low in copper content. In those instances, forming the rod can be quite a chore.

However if it is good stuff, then you can get away with cold forming.

Good point regarding undersizing the former, I should have mentioned that,as the brass does have 'spring' in it.

Not too much of a worry unless you need bang on accuracy.

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1110975816

Comment

• roberthusar
            • Oct 2004

I use a solid rod

I use a solid rod as the foundation. Drill a hole across the diameter (size of target rod). Insert the rod in. While exterting tension on the rod, heat the rod and start to bend it around the foundation. Silver solder the joint and you're done.

Comment

• PaulC
              Administrator
              • Feb 2003

Tried the tips everyone shared

Tried the tips everyone shared with much success. Pretty neat!

Here's the untrimmed piece (resting on my sub-themed mouse pad made by my 10 year old son).

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
              <><

Comment

• boatbuilder1
                • Mar 2003

check the micro mark catalog
                they

check the micro mark catalog
                they have several sets of metal forming tools and pliers
                I have one of the jewlers pliers and it can form rings from 5/16 down to 1/16. annealing does work for rod larger than 3/32 but for anything smaller I think its a waste of time.
                www.micromark.com
                charles

Comment

Working...
                X