X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liftmys10
    • Nov 2004

How to detail the albacore hull?

i want to do teh fine details like the lines on the hull etc. How do i do that? I want that scale look instead of a smooth hull.
  • slats
    • Feb 2003

David Merriman has had a

David Merriman has had a couple of excellent articles on this in the Subcommittee Report.
    Viewing your last posts on these boards, the best thing I can suggest is you take out a Subcommittee membership which will complement your enthusiam to this great hobby. Membership entitles you to 4 fantastic Reports are year that are chock full of information. You may also enquire with the membership about which back issues you may want to order that relate to painting and detailing.
    All the very best.
    John

Comment

• btrippis
      • Dec 2003

There is also a great

There is also a great book on the Albacore that is available
      from the Albacore Museum. It has quit a few photos and
      good information. In addition Sea Photo has many pictures
      of the Albacore that are available for a reasonable amount.
      The articles by Dave (mentioned in the previous post) are excelent. Joining the Subcommittee is the best bang for
      your buck in finding info on R/C and all other Sub related
      topics. Are you aware of the different configurations the
      Albacore went through? The X plane stern as well as other
      stern configurations.
      Regards, Brian

Comment

Hi Shawn,
        As Brian mentioned, gather

Hi Shawn,
        As Brian mentioned, gather up as much research material as you can. Albacore was my first boat. What I did to detail her was trace the deck details (from the drawing supplied with the kit) onto mylar, cut them out, then transfer to the model with ink. Once done, I scribed the ink lines. I also drilled out all (yes, all) of the limber holes on the sides, then cleaned them up with a square file. I did the same with the flood holes.
        Paint-wise, Albacore never had anti-foul red. Just plain old black. I used Krylon for the base hull coat, then applied orange on the marker bouys (helps to spot her when she is underwater) and a grey color on the sail mounted sonar. Pretty much an as-launched paint-scheme. I also scratch-built some 'scopes using streamline tube and regular hypo-tube.
        If you want to learn more, I would stongly suggest calling David Merriman and ordering his detailing video set. I did this before I painted my Seawolf, and it was *very* helpful...

Chris

Comment

• btrippis
          • Dec 2003

Follow up to my previous

Follow up to my previous post. The book is called
          U.S.S.Albacore "forerunner of the future" by Robert Largess
          and James Mandelblatt. It is published by Portsmouth
          Marine Society copyright 1999. Albacore went through
          4 phases during it's twenty years. Phase I with control
          surfaces aft of the prop, Phase II with surfaces before
          the prop, Phase III was the X stern, and Phase IV with
          the contra-rotating props.
          Brian

Comment

• liftmys10
            • Nov 2004

Hey Brian, I believe my

Hey Brian, I believe my albacore is phase 2. I did read somewhere about the different phases. Its pretty crazy. I was thinking of doing phase 3 so i can turn better. So in order to see these reprts, i would have to sign up with subcomittee? Sounds fair, i'll do that soon.

Comment

• craigf
              • Oct 2004

I was wanting to do

I was wanting to do the limber holes too...lots of time until sub weather around here. I started to do it on the weekend, thought I'd just trace the big drawing holes onto a transparency (reverse trans. for other side of hull), but...I realised the transparency cannot be just laid down on the hull. The drawing views are top and side, not a pattern for drill holes that you can just lay on the curved hull with any pretense of accuracy, and the drawing is a bit bigger than the model too. What did you guys do? Now my model is only going to be at best semi-scale, I've already taken some "artistic" licence with some sail details mainly for my amusement, but laying out my limber hole tracing on the hull looked pretty bad, needs major adjustment. Thanks.

Comment

• craigf
                • Oct 2004

^^ Nevermind! Sometimes I have

[color=#000080]^^ Nevermind! Sometimes I have the tools at hand, just got to use the ol brain to put em together to do the job.

FWIW]

Comment

Working...
                X