X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • u-boater
    • Feb 2003

Water Detector - Electronic device

[color=#000000]Hi all, Does anybody know if there is such an item as an (Electronic) water detecting device which can be incorperated inside the WTC. My WTC has no see thru facility.
    and hopefully, has no leaks. it is a lot of trouble going in there to look. Any ideas How?...............U-Boater ]
  • dietzer
    • Feb 2003

Here's a circuit for automatically

Here's a circuit for automatically activating a bilge pump when water is detected]http://www.mhsd.org/model/autopump.htm[/url]

You could easily modify it to turn on an LED, or a buzzer, etc. to alert you when water is present in the WTC.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Comment

• u-boater
      • Feb 2003

Hi, Carl, Thanks for the

Hi, Carl, Thanks for the info. i will follow up your tip.

Comment

Hi,

I use just the same

[color=#000000]Hi,

I use just the same kind of circuit and it works fine. Only if you're not controlling a pump or a motor you best use a smaller, cheaper NPN transistor, like a 2n2222 or equivalent. It is sufficient for up to a few hundred milliamps. OK for LEDs, small buzzer, 6V relay, etc. In this case, the resistor can be replaced by a 22kOhms or more, otherwise you will get false alarms. If the air contains lots of moisture in your area, condensation can occur when you put the sub in cold water.
        Also, it is best to put two probes (in parallel), one at each end of the sub, that's where the water tends to accumulate when the boat is not level...

If you connect a LED, don't forget to add a resistor (in series)]

Comment

• u-boater
          • Feb 2003

Hi Laurent. I have just

Hi Laurent. I have just connected the Led and resistor in series and it works!. The Led is inclined to flicker, but is quite bright. Tested it on a dummy WTC............regds

Comment

Working...
          X