X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lbgolon91
    • Jul 2004

U-47 - Grease

What type of grease do I use for pumping into the drive shafts? Brand name, can it be bought locally or is it a specialty item? Please help.....Thanks, Larry G.

Well I use a silicone

Well I use a silicone grease for lubricating my shafts. This is water proof, and doesn't attack the rubber.

I favour the Servisol brand- good quality and readily available in the UK- however I don't know if it's as easy to obtain that brand overseas.

However I use a stuffing box with my boat, so I don't actually FILL the tubes with grease- this a target modellers trick , that doesn't work at all well with submarines as you have water pressure to deal with.

Have a look here for some good modifications to your boats stern tubes-

Andy

Comment

• tmsmalley
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

If you are US based,

If you are US based, you can go to any scuba diver's shop and get a container of silicone regulator lubricant.

The Ace Hardware chain also carries silicone grease - part number 4095667
      Tim

Comment

I use the same grease

I use the same grease on my U47 for the two gaskets and the stuffing boxes. it is a brand that i bought at my local bike shop, it is a silicone grease made for mountain bike hubs. claims to be "water repellant even if submerged". If you need a specific brand name, i will post again when I get out to the club house where I keep it.

Tim

Comment

• boatbuilder1
          • Mar 2003

hey guys go to your

hey guys go to your local hobby store and ask for prathers cable grease it is a silicone grease blue in color it comes in a 4 oz plastic jar and that one jar will last for several years I use a syringe to inject it in the tubes it is quite thick I have not had to grease the tubes more than once in 5 years like I said this stuff is really thick

ca

Comment

• mr t
            • Jun 2004

i use Vaseline - petroleum

i use Vaseline - petroleum jelly, try it!

Comment

• boatbuilder1
              • Mar 2003

cool vasilene cheap and practical
              but

cool vasilene cheap and practical
              but remember don't use it on rubber parts it will eventualy decay the rubber

Comment

• tmsmalley
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Chuck is correct. No Vaseline

Chuck is correct. No Vaseline on rubber parts - no oil or other petroleum products either. Rots the rubber. Stick to silicone grease. Cheap and easy to get.

Comment

Working...
                X