X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petn7
    • Jun 2003

painting tips? - where?

can anyone give me some help on painting a sub? the sub i want to paint is a plastic model, so i would guess i should use modeling spray paint? or would "regular" spray paint like from the hardware store work on plastic models? oh, and are there some websites that give painting, detailing, and masking tips for r/c sub hulls?

and if anyone has some input on painting an Alfa class sub, i'd appreciate it

You don't state what plastic

You don't state what plastic your boat is constructed from, however I'm guessing that is either injection moulded or vac formed, both of which generally use plastics that don't respond well to laquer based paints i.e. cellulose based.

Cellulose based paints will melt most thermoformed plastics, but won't damage thermoset plastics like polyester, polyurethane and epoxy based resins.

Acrylic paints or oil based enamels are a good choice for thermoplastics, they won't damage the hull. Don't use acrylics on top of enamels.

You can also coat your model in an acrylic based primer whereupon you can freely use cellulose based products, as this acts as a shield beteen the paint and plastic.

Stores that supply car paint represent a cheap source of paint, and you can generally get it mixed to any shade you require. The disadvantage of this approach is that you usually have to purchase a minimum quantity (usually 1/2 litre) which can workout expensive in the short term.

BTW the latest Sub Com report had two excellent articles explaining how to paint your boat!

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1088067220

Comment

• drdave
      • Apr 2003

I would recommend that is

I would recommend that is you are going to paint a few modle boats and if you want the best results possible that you consider an airbrush You do not have to get a real expensive one I use a Passche H airbrush and get excellent results. Testors has a good airbrush as well You can use propel as a propellent to supply pressure to paint and then later get a compressor to use . The last reply was right as well as there are two good articles on painting submarines. Do not use hardware paint supplies on Styrene plastic as it will melt.... on eposy or fiberglass resin kits it is ok I use automotive primer on my RC models ( epoxy resin or fiberglass only) and then use Floquil paints and a clear sealant to cover and protect the paint as well as any transfers you put on the boat. If you need any help let me know Dr Dave

Comment

Working...
      X