2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David F
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jan 2016

Yes indeed, thanks Quartermaster for the work on 2.4Ghz which certainly has a place and thanks too for putting some numbers to the market.

Particular thanks and encouragement to Matt for your Futaba FG series plans using rf modules. Any chance you could include 40 Mhz modules for the European market (and even 433)??

Maybe there is a future for we model submariners in our little corner!

David

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

David,

Check your PMs.
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• coryhenry
        • Jun 2020

I was having alot of interference problems with my Kilo and 75mHz, I decided to try 2.4 and so far am loving it. I modified a Turnigy receiver with extended Coax antenna and am getting a really long range and even a couple of cm under the surface with full control.

Here is the link if you are interested

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Cory,
          Look forward to seeing your results at the next run!
          Peace,
          Tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            No one
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by coryhenry View Post
            I was having alot of interference problems with my Kilo and 75mHz, I decided to try 2.4 and so far am loving it. I modified a Turnigy receiver with extended Coax antenna and am getting a really long range and even a couple of cm under the surface with full control.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-receiver.html
            Be careful coming over to the dark side, a non-glitching boat can be addicting! Also not waiting for a frequency flag to become available!

Again not for every boat, like a Disney Nautilus, FV Proteus, DSV ALVIN. Save the precious 75Mhz radio for those. But if it has a scope, certainly worth giving it a try.
            Now in truth, my 1:48 Scale SKIPJACK hides the antenna in a rather tall NAVSAT Mast. Plenty of PD Tolerance. But my 1:96 JAMES MADISON? That's an 1-1/2" mast above the sail. But I actually like it, keeps me on my toes maintaining a good PD without broaching. And that shipmates, is the true skill of the RC Submariner. Going deep is easy.

My conversion work here...is done.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• roedj
              SubCommittee Member
              • Apr 2008

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-receiver.html
              Please clarify this statement -- and even a couple of cm under the surface with full control.

What, exactly, was a few centimeters under the water? The entirety of the antenna? What?

Dan

Comment

• coryhenry
                • Jun 2020

In my pool with the transmitter 10 ft away I can submerge the tip of the antenna two centimeters and still have control.

Comment

• roedj
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Apr 2008

In my pool with the transmitter 10 ft away I can submerge the tip of the antenna two centimeters and still have control.
                  That's kind of exciting news. Up to now, I've always read that 2.4GHz radio waves wouldn't penetrate the water/air boundary without a complete loss of energy and thus control.

Keep on experimenting.

Dan

Comment

• coryhenry
                    • Jun 2020

I did a little more controlled experiment yesterday on the kilo with 2.4. I was able to maintain control of the boat with the antenna tip 2 inches underwater and the transmitter 15 ft away for 5 minutes (Then I stopped, not because I lost control). It appears I lose control at around 3 inches. This was in a chlorinated pool.

Comment

Working...
                    X