X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Getting a nice 75 MHZ transmitter for minimum investment

I just wanted to do a short post on how to get a nice 75 MHZ radio to use for minimum investment. Basically I am going to tell you how I just acquired a transmitter recently.
    At the Carmel Subrun last month there was a old Futaba transmitter on the swap table.
    It is a 7 channel unit on 75MHZ but AM.
    What made the radio interesting to me was the fact it had a replaceable RF module in the back.
    That meant as long as a modern module could physically be adapted to the radio I could equip it with any Futaba compatible RF module I would like.
    My intent was to make this into a bench radio I could use while testing my RC setups.
    As it turned out the older modules were larger than the newer ones so they were not physically compatible.
    But I lucked out and was still able to plug one of my Hitec Spectra synthesized modules on 75MHZ into the module receptacle.
    I made sure the pin out on the connectors were electrically compatible with some web surfing.
    I just used a small piece of double sided tape on the back to hold the module in place.
    When tested the transmitter worked perfectly.

The transmitter was in exceptional shape. It also had all the bells and whistles available at the time like end point adjustments, dual rates, servo reversing, exponential rate, and mixing.
    It only did one model as it had no model memories. (Non computer radio)
    But still a very desirable radio.

My point being there are a lot of transmitters for sale out there that are going for cheap that can be easily adapted to our use.
    I would stick with the brand names though. Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Multiplex, Hitec.
    If you want PlugNplay the best bang for the buck is a Futaba CAP-9.
    You can add as many model memories you would like with the Campac feature, and RF modules for 75-72-50-40-35-and 2.4.
    You just have to get over the transmitter looking like a Cylon. "By your command"
    Lol. BD.
    Here is the transmitter I acquired. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	136507Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	136508
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K
  • vasily
    • Jun 2014

Dave,
    Another option is to have a Futaba 72 MHz transmitter module converted by Radio South to 75 MHz for $50 (including crystal). These modules will work in Futaba's 7CAP and 9CAP ppm/pcm 1024 transmitters.
    Jim

Comment

• sgtmac1
      SubCommittee Member
      • Oct 2014

Radio South?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4363a.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	128132

I would like to send a 72mh radio out to be converted to 75mh. I emailed to RadioSouth this past week but haven't heard anything back. Is the $50 a good number as far as being converted?

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

As the Tracker is a synthesized radio I don't think it can be converted.
        At least that is what I was told for my Multiplex radio. The Tracker does not use a replaceable RF module and the software to switch frequencies is in the radio itself.
        I am by no means an expert on this so I would find out from them if it can be done. BD

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

BD,

I've been told the same thing as well.....

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

That is correct. The tracker cannot be converted.
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• warpatroller
              • Feb 2006

I'm late coming to this thread, but I noticed people have stated a Tracker III radio and receiver cannot be converted from 72Mhz to 75Mhz.. They most certainly can. I had a 72MHz Tracker III and Seeker II receiver successfully converted to 75Mhz. I've since used it with several Futaba crystal-based 75Mhz receivers, in addition to the Seeker II.

So technically, it is possible. Though, the conversion was done by Polk Hobbies, via the care of John Gill (Anyone remember him?). It was also done 7 years ago. Have no idea if Polk Hobbies, or John are still around.. This Radio South place may not have the capability, or the know how, to do it..

It has been so long ago. Now that I think about it more, they did replace the 72 receiver with a different 75 receiver. But, they did actually convert the transmitter. I received the same transmitter back with the 72Mhz printing on the rear label, but I can assure you it transmits at 75..
              Last edited by warpatroller; 05-07-2016, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• bigdave
                • Feb 2003

If Polk did it what they most likely did was swap out the 72 MHZ internal freq module board with the 75 MHZ board.
                It is not a retune of the 72 MHZ module. They could do that as they made them and had the parts at hand.
                Unless a place like Radio South has a spare 75 MHZ module lying around it can't be done.
                What we are saying is a synthesized module is built for a certain freq and is not just a retune as can be done in a crystal module. Sadly Polks is no longer in business.
                John is still around though, but no longer has any association with the now defunct company. BD

Comment

• warpatroller
                  • Feb 2006

Thanks for the clarification. I guess what was done to mine, can no longer be done. R.I.P. Polk..

Comment

• wingtip
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Dec 2004

I emailed to RadioSouth this past week but haven't heard anything back.
                    everytime I email them I never hear back either...I gave up on contacting them.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                      • Oct 2012

A couple of years back, I too tried to contact Radio South by e-mail.
                      No response.

I made one phone call and ended up talking for almost an hour getting questions answered and advise and solutions to my project.
                      It was on a Polk as well.

Some people/businesses do not use e-mail but instead prefer talking person to person.

Get personal and engage in conversation.
                      Get them a call.

Comment

I had tony @ radiosouth do some work for me on a Robbe FC-28 about a year and a half ago. http://www.radiosouthrc.com/ if you will notice, his phone number is the largest item on the main page of his web site notice also that his business hours are listed... i talked to him on the phone... i got my stuff back from him as quickly as he was able to get parts. price was very reasonable as well.

Comment

• bigkim100
                          • Jul 2014

Radio SAouth

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                          I had tony @ radiosouth do some work for me on a Robbe FC-28 about a year and a half ago. http://www.radiosouthrc.com/ if you will notice, his phone number is the largest item on the main page of his web site notice also that his business hours are listed... i talked to him on the phone... i got my stuff back from him as quickly as he was able to get parts. price was very reasonable as well.
                          I have contacted Radio South, and received a EMail the following day.
                          I sent him a long list of 27mhZ transmitters, both computerized, and not, and I received a EMail back the following day that he has no trouble converting any of them.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                            • Oct 2012

Radio South is own by Tony.
                            He's work hours are in the evening.
                            I assume he has a day job.
                            I too had slow responses with e-mail.
                            But a phone call and all was well.
                            I had a problem with my Tx and it returned in good working order.
                            Cost was shipping and minimum labor charge.
                            There was the slow e-mail responses and there were the detailed conversations by phone.
                            -------------------------
                            My opinion is, Tony is not really a computer person.

From his web site....
                            "My business hours are 5:30PM until 9PM Eastern Time, Monday thru Friday."

Call him.

Comment

• Oldus Fartus
                              • Jul 2016

Tony converted my Futaba 9C to 75MHz and it works perfectly...just be patient as he has a full-time job and is heavily involved with the AMA...

Comment

Working...
                              X