• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tennesseejim
    • Jul 2003

Soldering Advice Needed - Trying To Solder Rudder To Rudder Shaft

I need some help soldering.

I'm trying to solder my brass rudder to its brass rudder shaft. I'm not having any luck. The solder just wants to ball up. I guess I was thinking it would flow into the space between the two surfaces and bond. Where it did "take", the joint was weak and just broke.

I'm using a small butane torch. I am using flux. I've tried some different kinds of solder. I'm missing something here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jim
  • wheels
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Jim....I would have two guesses.

Jim....I would have two guesses.

1. Brass not pre cleaned
    2. Not enought heat

The brass should be shinny before you begin to heat the metal. Apply the flux and begin to heat the metal till the solder will flow with out direct heat of the flame. Give it another try.

Jim Wheeler

Comment

• crazy ivan
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Also,
      There are different types of

Also,
      There are different types of solder available for different applications. Solder sold for electronics work is typically 60% tin and 40% lead, and requires a rosin flux. This type of solder usually already has a rosin core.

The kind usually found in home centers is lead free (for non-toxic plumbing) and may typically be 95% tin and 5% Antimony. This requires its own special type of flux. Either type of solder will work on brass if you make sure you use the appropriate flux.

As Jim said, you need enough heat to get the work up to temeperature. But dont overheat! This will burn away the flux. And do not apply the flame directly to the solder. The best method is to apply the flame to the opposite side and dab the solder against the joint until the heated brass causes the solder to melt. You should then be able to remove the flame and allow the melted solder to wick in to the joint. For this type of small work, I prefer a solder diameter of .060 in. or less. Good luck.
      sigpic
      "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• crazy ivan
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Jim,

I noticed elsewhere that

Jim,

I noticed elsewhere that you are building the Dumas Bluefish. I myself built the Dumas Akula, but I suspect that there is a similar procedure required to assemble the dive planes. The instructions call for you to first solder one plane to the shaft (OK, so far so good), then insert the shaft into position through the hull and carefully solder the remaining plane to the shaft. This last step requires EXTREME caution. A little too much heat and you can turn that vacuum formed styrene hull around the shaft area to molten goo in a hurry. Even as a professional with years of delicate soldering under my belt, I cringed at the prospect. I decided instead to solder on the first plane, then CA glue the second in place, reinforced with a small screw through the shaft. Be careful here.
        sigpic
        "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• tmsmalley
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2003

A professional, eh? How about

A professional, eh? How about an article on soldering for the SCR?

Comment

• crazy ivan
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

I might be persuaded... if

I might be persuaded... if Jeff publishes the last article I sent in.
            sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• JWLaRue
              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
              • Aug 1994

Ouch! I'm being held hostage

Ouch! I'm being held hostage by the membership!

Seriously, both George's Dumas Akula article (which he submitted after the deadline for the next issue) and Dave Welch's Akula article will be in the March issue.....

-we aim to please!

Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• crazy ivan
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Geez, I only missed it

Geez, I only missed it by a few hours! OK,OK.. let me see if I can put together a little soldering clinic for an upcoming issue. It's hard to refuse guys who give such good service. Already got my safety goggles on.
                sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

Most excellent! http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_smile.gif

Your SCR

Most excellent!

Your SCR contribtions are greatly appreciated!

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• kd6hq
                    • Jul 2003

Another article to look forward

Another article to look forward to.

thanks

Don

Comment

• tennesseejim
                      • Jul 2003

FYI -

I bought some

FYI -

I bought some silver solder and it worked much better. Flowed into the joint just like it should. Got it at the hobby store.

I had been using solder with silver in it. Didn't know there was a difference.

- Jim

Comment

• tmsmalley
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Feb 2003

Since George is also a

Since George is also a professional musician (see photo from his SubCommittee Members' website) maybe we should ask him to entertain us at The SubRegatta with a song about soldering! Let's see, what rhymes with flux?

Wasting away again in Solderitaville,
                        looking for my lost bottle of flux,
                        Some people say that it boiled away,
                        but I know.... too much heat was at fault.

Yeah yeah, I know - don't give up my day job!
                        Tim

Edited By TMSmalley on 1075907117

Comment

• crazy ivan
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

What a scarey sight at

What a scarey sight at this hour of the day... I almost choked on my morning coffee! you should have posted a warning Tim!
                          sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

• tmsmalley
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

Another soldering item I remember

Another soldering item I remember my 8th grade shop teacher pounding into us is "Heat the mass". In other words - if you have a big chunk of brass and a small chunk you want to solder, you need to heat up the bigger chunk to get the joint to work!

Okay Crazy Ivan - I gotta fess up - I was once a rock and roll geek too, playing a chopped Hammond and Leslie system -in the "Transworld Brotherhood" but I fell away from the fold after college. For some odd reason, wives don't approve of the bar life! After all, "Does anyone really know what time it is?"

Edited By TMSmalley on 1075938065

Comment

• crazy ivan
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Yep, you have to heat

Yep, you have to heat all of the work, not just the solder.

I used to look just like that guitar player on the left. So, do you still get your hands on a (non-PC) keyboard at all? You can't beat the sound of that old Hammond / Leslie combination. And just to keep the conversation on topic, did you play through a SUB-woofer?

Edited By Crazy Ivan on 1076002706
                              sigpic

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
                              X