• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antoine
    • Feb 2003

Dave's Torpedo System - part 1

<span style='font-size]THE TORPEDO SYSTEM[/b]</span>

<span style='font-size] By David D Merriman III[/b]</span>

1. Completed torpedoes. The central unit is a “cutaway” used to demonstrate the internals of the gas type torpedoes I manufacture and operate. Note that the pick-up tube runs to about the middle of the weapon where it takes suction on the contained Propel gas, directing it aft and through the tiny hypodermic needle that forms the propulsion nozzle. Through experiment I found that the correct bore of the propulsion nozzle of small torpedoes (1/72 through 1/96) to be equivalent in diameter to a #95 drill bit.

2. A completed torpedo made up to a breech-mechanism that in turn is connected to a charge fitting. Note the cast resin torpedo blanks still in their mold, and torpedo body blanks below ready for machining and installation of bow cap and pick-up tube. The tool rubber is RTV silicon, 71-20, available from Baremetal Foil. An excellent tool making rubber that exhibits long life in the presence of polyurethane type casting resins.

3. Polyurethane resins used to form torpedo blanks. In this case 1/96 scale torpedo blanks. The small glass bottles are filled with part-A and part-B and are “ready service” from which I conduct mixing, the smaller bottles easier to handle than the large bulk quantities in the larger containers. A spray mold-release must be applied to the surfaces of the tools before casting – it eases release of the hardened polyurethane parts and contributes greatly to tool life. Typical tool cycle life is between thirty and eighty shots.

4. Using a hammer to lightly tape out the metal mandrel used to make the interior of the torpedo body blanks hollow. The entire torpedo structure is cast polyurethane resin. The torpedoes wall thickness is adequate to contain, safely, the pressurized charge of Propel liquid/gas. Wall thickness is driven by mandrel diameter.

5. Blanks being outfitted with resin nose caps. These are later worked on a machine lathe to the proper ‘pointed’ shape. CA adhesive is used to secure the cap pieces securely to the torpedo body. Incidentally, the dowels used to form the nose caps originated as part of the sprue networked used during the casting process to insure complete resin fill of the tool cavities.

6. Cutting the torpedo body blanks to correct shape on a precision saw. The torpedoes are cut to scale with a twenty-foot long submarine launched ‘heavyweight’ type weapon. After cutting the blanks to length, the interior of each is blown out with air, and a nose cap super-glued in place.

7. Turning the nose of each torpedo to correct contour. I use my small taig machine lather here. Initial forming of a nose is done with a cutting blade, and then I shift to hand held pieces of varying grades of sandpaper until the desired nose shape is achieved.

8. The torpedoes I produce represent modern acoustic homing ‘heavyweight’ submarine launched, twenty-one inch diameter, and weapons. Both American and Russian weapons of this class are predominantly green of color. Here I’ve painted the base green using water-soluble acrylic paint applied with a spray-brush. I find that mounting the torpedo on a length of one-sixteenth diameter brass wire through the cavity that will later accept an pick-up tube, is a great means of holding the little model torpedo as I paint and detail it. Not in this shot is a hair-dryer – I use it to accelerate the drying of the water-soluble paint so I can immediately apply a second coat to get a very deep ‘green’ color to a model torpedo. By the way, green shows up very well in the water, making recovery of ejected weapons all the more easier.

9. Mounting each torpedo on the lathe (set at minimum rpm’s) I marked out the radial breaks between torpedo sections with a black pen. Using a brush I painted on the yellow band around the warhead. Using the lathe for this task insures both precision and speed of work. Both the pen ink and yellow band dry very quickly permitting me to remove and chuck up another unit in the time it takes to undo the jaws of the chuck.

Edited By AntoineL on 1071921225
    http://forum-rc-warships.xooit.eu/index.php
  • Antoine
    • Feb 2003

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/antoine.lenormand/Images/Merrimans%20Torpsystem/10.jpg

10. the tiny nozzle of each

10. the tiny nozzle of each weapon is formed from a short length of syringe needle. Here you see the small drill bits used. One bit to bore out the pick-up tube filler piece to accommodate the needle. The smaller drill bit is used to bore out the inside of the needle once installed into the pick-up tube. The pick-up tube syringe needle nozzle has a #95 bore diameter – pretty #### small!

11. The cutaway torpedo showing the placement of the pick-up tube. And that’s what I love about the gas-type model torpedo]http://perso.wanadoo.fr/antoine.lenormand/Images/Merrimans%20Torpsystem/12.jpg[/img]

12. Completed torpedoes, the cutaway, drills, syringes, and adhesive. Most of the parts, tools and consumables needed to produce a gas-type torpedo. Unlike the larger gas-type torpedoes, favored by other scratch-builders, my weapons dispense with the need of an on-weapon Propel charging valve. In my system, the charging valve is off-weapon, contained as part of the launcher system.

13. Installing a pick-up tube into a weapon. This is a short length of one-sixteenth diameter aluminium tube that has been outfitted with a short length of #95 bore syringe tube forming the nozzle. A very small amount of thin formula CA is used to secure the pick-up tube into the afterbody of the torpedo.

14. Two different sized gas propelled torpedoes. I found, through experiment, that the same #95 bore at the nozzle is adequate for these two different sized weapons. Note that both torpedoes have in common the same pick-up tube/nozzle system. The only difference in performance is that the smaller 1/96 weapon travels a bit faster and farther.

15. Torpedo, test charge set-up, Propel can, and spring-loaded rammer. Again, through experiment, I determined how much spring pressure had to be applied against the nose of a tube loaded weapon to insure that its nozzle seated with the correct amount of friction against the tubes breech-mechanism. When launched, the weapon is almost neutrally buoyant in water owing to the weight of the Propel charge on board. However, as the Propel gas is ejected out into the water, the torpedo becomes lighter. By the end of the run, the torpedo is very buoyant and stands out of the water significantly, making it easier to see and retrieve for later use.

16. Testing torpedo in ‘test tank’. Checking for leaks and verifying correct operation of the torpedo when launched. The same type breech-mechanisms used by a torpedo tube to hold and charge a weapon is used here to secure the weapon under test. The Propel charge fitting is pressed against the charge fitting, filling the weapon with a charge of liquid Propel. The weapon is then dunked in the water and observed for any gas leaks from either the weapon or at the base of the breech-mechanism. While still immersed in the water, I use thumb and forefinger to work the torpedoes nozzle off the breech-mechanism sending the weapon jetting off into the water where I observe the torpedo for correct straight running and buoyancy at the end of the run.

17. My ‘Torpedo Caddy’ used with the 1/72 ALFA model. I use this to hold the bow section of the submarine model as I service the torpedoes and torpedo launching system. Note that all tools and consumables are provided on the caddy. Spare torpedoes are also mounted within the caddy. While the bow with torpedoes installed into their launcher is held here I grab the charging manifold and charge the six weapons and launcher impulse bottle with a shot of Propel liquid. The upper hull is then removed from the caddy, mounted back to the rest of the hull and I’m ready for a ‘war patrol’.

<span style='font-size]TEXT AND PICTURES = David D Merriman III[/b]</span>

Edited By AntoineL on 1071865823

Comment

• Antoine
      • Feb 2003

Downloadable version HERE

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Downloadable version HERE

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Comment

• raalst
        • Feb 2003

Very nice and inspiring article.

Very nice and inspiring article.

however, I do not understand how the torpedo is
        kept in the tube until it is fired.

is the torpedo simply seated on the loading apparatus
        by friction ? or is there some obstacle in front of the
        torpedo (removed on R/C when firing).
        I also do not understand the rammer. what is keeping the
        torp in the tube that a rammer is needed ?

regards,
        Ronald

Comment

• wayne frey
          • Aug 2003

The torpedo is held in

The torpedo is held in place by the friction fit at the nozzle end.The "rammer" is another one of Dave's ways of solving a problem.It applies the correct pressure to seat the torpedo at the nozzle.To light,it can cook off,to heavy a pressure pressing it it,it may not leave the tube.The rammer is spring loaded and marked on the shaft to indicate the previously measured pressure that works best.Merely load the weapon,and press to the premeasured mark,and the launch goes smoothly and consistantly.
          I have seen it work.It is incredible the work that goes into them.

Comment

• raalst
            • Feb 2003

Thanks !
            Simple really, you

Thanks !
            Simple really, you *just* have to think it up !!

Comment

• mihelich
              • Feb 2003

I did not have much

I did not have much luck with this kind of system in 1/96 scale. The fish only goes about 2" before it runs out of propellent. Just not enough volume in the fish.

-Tom

Comment

• tommydeen
                • Nov 2003

How much of a run

How much of a run was Dave getting out of his torps?
                Tom
                sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

• britt boyette
                  • Feb 2003

I watched the video me

I watched the video me sent to me that showed his Alfa shooting six of them and I would guess around 15 to 20 feet. They came out fast too.
                  When you fill the fish with propel, be sure your filling with the liquid part of it, not the gas. Also, if the union that holds the torp in the tube is too tight, that will require to much gas to get moving. Remember, David's been working on this for years. He's made all the errors and now he wants to share his findings. If anyone does build this system as he has done, just be sure to give him the credit for the design. He's work very hard for it.

Comment

• uss silversides
                    • Nov 2003

Could someone explain to me

Could someone explain to me a bit more about this system? Like what exactly is the rammer for?

Comment

Working...
                    X