• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Extended time in water - paint finishes

Haven't had much experience with this so I'm hoping someone can chime in.

Is there anything that I need to take into account for a model sub that will see extended time in a freshwater aquarium (I'm talking months/years). I assume there will be a degree of discoloration over time. Any chance that decals will separate under the paint, chemicals leach out into the water, or anything else that's not super-desirable?

I have a Trumpeter Seawolf that a customer wants to drop in his freshwater aquarium. I've sealed it with clearcoat, but wanted to see if anyone had any red flags to wave before I let it go to him (with all due cautions and limits of liability safely in place, of course)
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • petn7
    • Jun 2003

Re: Extended time in water - paint finishes

I can't tell you what will work for sure, but I can say that I've searched for a truly waterproof and durable clearcoat and haven't found one. Below are a few threads that I've had involvement in and will help give you some some pointers of what to avoid or what not to do:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10549&hilit=clearcoat

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=808&hilit=+clearcoat

Seems like something for boats are cars will be your best bet. Figuring out how to keep whatever you use from melting the plastic might be the tricky part.

Comment

Working...
    X