X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeusbheld
    • Jun 2014

Sub modelers in Thailand?

I'm new to sub modeling, but committed to it (committed enough to track down an OOP 1/72 Revell Gato, which I will convert to static-diving RC). Anyone else building subs in Thailand?
  • redboat219
    • Jan 2005

Re: Sub modelers in Thailand?

Have you tried looking online locally?

The ones I'm aware of are in Singapore, Taiwan, Hongkong, Japan, China, and Philippines.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

I'm new to sub modeling, but committed to it (committed enough to track down an OOP 1/72 Revell Gato, which I will convert to static-diving RC). Anyone else building subs in Thailand?
      The Gato sub is one of my favorite subs. I built mine over two years ago and it is still my favorite. I am sharing this because it was also the hardest of my subs to build (so far - I am still learning). So, knowing what I know from experience, I offer this, build an easier sub if this is your first one. I am being a bit of a hypocrite for saying this because the Gato was my first sub. There is a lot to learn with a sub to get it working, then heap Gato specific issues in just adds to the fun. However, if you are focused on this sub and it is going to be your first sub, then I would offer get it working first then worry about the detailing. Here is my reason for saying this, I see too often someone getting caught up in the details or wanting torpedoes or wanting to build their own wtc or have a "new" idea, or add lights, and end up shelving the project. I am not saying that is you, but it is a rare person that sticks with building a working sub in the first place. If this does not scare you away or your pulse is racing because you like a challenge, then welcome aboard, join the rest of the crazies here! By the way, it is cheap to join the Sub-Committee and with that membership it opens up the entire library of back issues from our magazine. Have you seen the SCR (Sub-Committee Report)?
      So, you are on the right track to find other like minded people near by, but in the absence of that, we are just a short electron travel away from you. There are is a lot of knowledge in this association and many are willing to help.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• zeusbheld
        • Jun 2014

REDBOAT 219: Online locally's a bit of an issue as I can't read Thai. I figured I'd put this up just in case, as any English-speaking submarine modeler's likely to find this forum at some point. I'm not expecting to find a lot of builders in Thailand, but travel to S'pore and HK is pretty easy. Probably won't be taking a sub because the cheap airlines gouge you on luggage though, so wolfpacks unlikely...

SALMON: This one will sit on a shelf for a while, but not because it's abandoned. I've got a lot of research to do on how to get the damned thing running, then there's the cost of components. Meanwhile thanks to Revell I'll have my surface fleet: a Flower-class corvette, a schnellboot, all of which are ahead of the sub in the queue, and a PT boat (all RC). Biggest challenge of those three will be the little guy. Dean's Marine sells a kit full of innards, but the ESC is forward only (I want to be able to reverse the engines, like a real PT, if the weight won't be too much. Building a 1/72 PT's like building an airplane; don't do it without a gram scale).

I've read of some of these Gato-specific issues, like trimming. Do most of them arise because of the size of the boat, such as the difficulty trimming? Would a Type VII U-boat be easier? Obviously a Type IX wouldn't. I definitely want to begin from a plastic kit for my first sub, and I definitely want to stick to World War II for now, so if the type VII won't be significantly easier then I'll just jump right in and do the Gato.

As far as detailing goes, I'll definitely not be doing the fiddly work until the damned thing works, probably won't even put the fairwater on until it's at least running well on the surface.

I've already signed up and got all the back issues, btw.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

[quote]SALMON]
          I have some friends that have been encouraging me to build a target, er, ship. The only one recently that caught my eye is the Revell Flower class corvette. So, please do a build page on it, that way I can live vicariously through you!

I've read of some of these Gato-specific issues, like trimming. Do most of them arise because of the size of the boat, such as the difficulty trimming? Would a Type VII U-boat be easier? Obviously a Type IX wouldn't. I definitely want to begin from a plastic kit for my first sub, and I definitely want to stick to World War II for now, so if the type VII won't be significantly easier then I'll just jump right in and do the Gato.
          The design of the sub causes some of the issue. You are hoisting a lot above the waterline. The ballast system may or may not get you to true waterline. Some systems will only get you decks awash. It is also a long, yet thin sub. My fat fingers had a tough time getting in the tighter areas.
          I am fond of the WWII subs, but getting better at appreciating modern subs. A great kit to build is the Bronco 1/35scale Type XXIII. Plenty of room and lots of areas for details. It went together relatively quickly.

As far as detailing goes, I'll definitely not be doing the fiddly work until the damned thing works, probably won't even put the fairwater on until it's at least running well on the surface.
          You will need that fairwater on as you trim.

I've already signed up and got all the back issues, btw.
          I like your gusto. Glad you are a member! Welcome officially then!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• zeusbheld
            • Jun 2014

I have some friends that have been encouraging me to build a target, er, ship. The only one recently that caught my eye is the Revell Flower class corvette. So, please do a build page on it, that way I can live vicariously through you!
            Will do on the thread. I'll be building her as the Aconit, a ship that notably sank two U-boats in one day, as well as rescued the survivors of the HMS Harvester. I tend to want to build rather feisty targets. Longer-term as I get my skills up I want to move toward scratch building, and eventually build some bigger ships in 1/72 (in particular, the destroyer HMS Hesperus, and the DE USS Samuel B Roberts).

The design of the sub causes some of the issue. You are hoisting a lot above the waterline. The ballast system may or may not get you to true waterline. Some systems will only get you decks awash. It is also a long, yet thin sub. My fat fingers had a tough time getting in the tighter areas.
            I don't mind skipping bling like working topedos (seems challenging at 1/72!) but I really want to get to a true waterline. What sort of ballast system are you using?

I want a static diver, with a lot of control. I'm not too worried about bling but if it's feasible I'd like a) to raise and lower the periscope, and b) to be able to fold the bow dive planes up. My main interests are a) that it dives well, b) that it looks 'scale' on the water, and b) that the damned thing doesn't sink to the bottom of the lake (there are monitor lizards around here. Not quite komodo dragons but they don't have a reputation for being friendly either).

I am fond of the WWII subs, but getting better at appreciating modern subs. A great kit to build is the Bronco 1/35scale Type XXIII. Plenty of room and lots of areas for details. It went together relatively quickly.
            I may consider that Type XXIII, as I'm eventually planning on building larger PT boats. The problem with it isn't my obsession with constant scale so much as that as a late-war German sub it doesn't fit with any of my other obsessions. I tend to be story-driven; reading drives what I want to build rather than the other way around (so it's almost certain I'll never build a Surcouf)

My main obsessions]look [/i]like a busy place yet, as I'm doing tons of reading/research/book buying at the moment,

You will need that fairwater on as you trim.
            Good to know. Subs are a difficult problem for a noob non-engineer. This forum may not have as much activity as some other modeling forums but I've been reading for a few months now and the amount of knowledge here is amazing.

I like your gusto.
            The Gato and PT boats are both childhood obsessions of mine, so the danger of me giving up is insignificant.

It's great being safely married, and no longer having to think about making favorable impressions on attractive women. Wives tend to tolerate odd, boys-only obsessions, first dates not so much.

Which boat did you build your Gato as, by the way?

Comment

• redboat219
              • Jan 2005

Since you're interested in the Fall of Corregidor why not backdate your Gato to a Tambor class specifically the USS Trout.

She carried 20 tons of gold off Corregidor to prevent it falling into Japanese hands

Comment

• zeusbheld
                • Jun 2014

The Trout is intriguing, but I'm leaning toward building the Barb on her 9th patrol, because of Thunder Below. If I do build an early-war boat I'm leaning toward the Greenling.

Harder and Wahoo are also in play, but the Wahoo's a Mare Island boat and thus I couldn't use the Eduard bow limbers that came with the kit (they're really nice, but as Salmon pointed out top-heaviness could be a problem, and I'm sure adding metal won't help).

I'll likely build an expendable or two before my PT boat run ends though. Probably won't be my first 77 footer, as I';m leaning toward PT 59 for that, or maybe 61.

Comment

• zeusbheld
                  • Jun 2014

Salmon,

Bad news in the war between me and Common Sense. I'm leaning toward torpedos. HOWEVER this will depend on whether I can successfully implement torpedos in my Schnellboot. UNlike PTs Schnellboote have torpedo tubes integrated with the hull so it at least looks slightly plausible in 1/72.

I want my Gato to be beautiful since it is without a doubt my most favourite class of sub. I'm considering your suggestion to build something simpler first, but the only thing I can find that sparks my imagination that might be easier is a Disney Nautilus (1/69, so almost constant scale). Otherwise I'm interested in the IIb, VIIB/C, and IXB/D u-boats, and none of them look all that much easier in 1/72. So it looks like I'm in for a World of Hurt with the Gato class boat as my first.

In the struggle to choose a boat, it'll most likely be the Barb on her 9th, but the Wahoo was the boat that captured my imagination when I was 12 (anyone got any 1/72 brooms for sale or trade?). Harder's still right up there too. I don't think I'll build that many subs on a teacher's salary so I have to make the right choice, and I'm shamelessly attracted to famous boats.

Comment

• salmon
                    Treasurer
                    • Jul 2011

zeusheld,
                    Good for you. Like I've said before, the Gato was my first boat to build (like you my favorite class). If I can build it, so can you. Just make a commitment to two things. 1. You will persevere and get her finished and 2. No matter how tough/frustrating it gets, you will refer to rule number one. That was my mantra building the Gato and it helped carry me through.

I do have a 1/72 broom, it was from the Revell Gato kit, but if you want it, it is yours.

Torpedoes, it can be done and will be a cool addition.

Peace,
                    Tom

Comment

• zeusbheld
                      • Jun 2014

Salmon,

I have been studying a lot of build threads, and yours in particular. I will be getting Mr. Merriman's DVD set and I'm 98 percent certain I'll use Merriman's WTC etc. I'll also be getting a couple of other books, notably Model Submarine Technology by Norbert Bruggen. I'll do massive amounts of homework, dry fitting, etc. I'll build some fairly challenging RC projects before I ever think of beginning (the PTs will be challenging due to their small size and shallow draft, the Flowers will be challenging due to the amount of PE bling and special effects, the Schnellboot will be challenging due to my attempting torpedos and the Lurssen Effect.). I'll re-read. I'll take notes. I'll plaster all these notes, plans and diagrams around my work table.

After I do all that, I fully expect to screw things up so completely and so often that I may at some point need to go as far as hunting down another Gato kit for parts. I've fully accepted that it's likely to cost twice as much money and five times as much time as it would if someone who wasn't an idiot was setting out to build this sub. It won't be fast, either, as the same idiot will be under contract to build those other ships and boats first.

That said, i am committed to playing by your rules. This sub will get finished.

I might be interested in that broom; I hadn't thought to check if my kit already has one.

The boxing I got actually has decals and a pretty good version of that late war camouflage measure for the Barb around the time of her 11th, but I don't recall seeing any parts for the rocket launchers Fluckey had installed. I've got quite a few photos that confirm she was still all black just before her 9th patrol, so the Barb's still the front runner.

Comment

Working...
                      X