• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozzy hillbilly
    • Aug 2014

HI from Australia

Gday Guys
    I would just like to introduce my self....I'm Brad I live in Sydney Australia.
    I'm looking at buying a Rc sub In the next coming week or so and came across this forum when looking for some info on the kit I was looking at buying.
    My Rc back ground has been mainly nitro 1/8th scale hydroplane sine the age of 13, I'm now 39.
    Over the last 3 year I have purchased 3 tugs that My Wife and Now kids enjoy running first off a AquaCraft Atlantic Harbor Tugboat that got modified to look more scale.
    Then I brought two Model Slipways tugs ,Wyeforce & Irishman tugs. Now I want a Sub to build, but with out much exposure down here im limited in my knowledge on the best quality kits available, so it would be great if some of the experienced member could point me in the right direction to Fire my Aussie Dollars at.
    I know at this stage I would like the hull to be made of Epoxy (Fibre glass) not a plastic version.
    Also a larger model say over 1m size.
    I have been considering one that's currently on EBAY- (LA CLASS ATTACK SUB by MATT THOR) but have had some advise from a reliable source that the kit is over priced for the items it has.
    SO with limited knowledge... I have to go with what be said. Hence why I have joined this forum to gain great knollage from you guys .
    Thanks' Brad

Re: HI from Australia

I'd recommend a full kit for a newcomer, as you won't be left wondering what bits you need and how to put them altogether into a functioning model.

You specify a medium size model of larger than 1M, and want fibreglass, and epoxy at that. I would recommend the Engel Lafayette kit. Not cheap, but it is very well designed, drives like an arrow and ticks all the boxes. Their 212 kit is also very good, and I think a little more entertaining to sail, also cheaper, but the hull is cast from polyurethane, which is very strong, but no the epoxy glass of the Lafayette.

http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/i ... ah2v7ku386

http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/i ... Path=3_225

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Actually, if you read the details of the eBay auction listing, the only thing that appears to be missing from that is the speed controller (*) to make it a full kit in terms of the parts. Price-wise the 'buy it now' price isn't that bad either. So I cannot readily agree that it's overpriced.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to build the hull...especially since you will get help and advice from folks here, but it would come down to your level of comfort when taking on a build like this. There is a set of instructions from Matt Thor's web site that details the build of one of his hulls, located here:

...it's a 79 page instruction/build guide for the Permit-class hull, but the build will be the same as for an LA.

That WTC (dive module) normally comes with it's own set of instructions that detail how to set it up and adjust for proper running.

As for the Engel kit that Sub Culture pointed you towards, it is a very fine kit, uses one of the best..if not the best...ballast systems available in terms of control, and will build into an excellent running boat too. The included instructions are pretty extensive!

Whichever path you decide works best for you, and as I stated earlier, there are folks here who will be glad to offer advice if you need it.

-hope this helps,

Jeff

(*) both kits will require that you purchase battery and radio system separately.
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

If you choose the kit on ebay, I will be more than happy to assist you with the build in any way I can.

Matt
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

You also have John Slater, who is a very experienced model submariner and living in Manly. He's built one or two Thor boats, so he can probably give you good briefing of what's involved, and you can see a few boats in the flesh if you can arrange a meeting with him.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

I have a Thor LA class hull (thank you Matt) and I can speak to the quality and details. It is a high quality sub that appears to be very accurate. You will not be disappointed in!
            As far as the price, that looks pretty complete (except as noted earlier), so it is not a bad deal at all.
            Any kit you get will come with its own set of frustrations, but a nuclear sub like the L.A. Class is a clean (read not many bits to knock off) and relatively easy to set up. So do you like nuclear subs? I
            If you do not then this is not the sub, but if you do, this is one fine hull!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ozzy hillbilly
              • Aug 2014

Gday Guys
              Thanks for the reply's
              I think Im going to head down the path of the LA Kit that Matt made.
              It ticks all my boxers when it comes to the detail Im after with out the bits that can get broken off when being handled.
              Just waiting on some photos off the seller on Ebay to make shore everything is as listed ,then Ill go from there....
              Thanks Again Guys
              Brad

Comment

• ozzy hillbilly
                • Aug 2014

Gday Guys
                Well just a update On where I'm now at.....
                I did a great deal with the owner of the sub, all was well packed and shipped with these EBAY shipping mob tracked the sub through its long journey down-under to Australia all was going well than gess what ...........THEY LOST MY F-CKING sub and don't know where it is.
                If you ask me the shipping guys read what it was and said Or yeah ill have that.
                Tracking said that it was delivered at 4.30 am WTF.
                Brad

Comment

• thor
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2009

That blows!
                  Regards,

Matt

Comment

• ozzy hillbilly
                    • Aug 2014

Gday Matt
                    YEAH It sucks hard'' after talking with the seller on side with a really good price.
                    It came down to several email were sent to set up a time when both he and I would be online due to the time difference here and the Sates.
                    Bang he listed it at the new buy it now price then I jumped on it .
                    So All was good I payed immediately as I always do.....and all was good.
                    To days later I received the tracking number, So I told my 6 year old son its on the way that he and I will build it together.
                    So as I don't know sweet Jack about subs and how they work I searched the net, looked at picks with him and both excited as hell.
                    Finally Its In Australia........Watching and waiting tracking ....3 days at the one location. Then when I tracked it on the ebay site said out for delivery......Yeah we will have it soon.
                    For two day it said that its out for delivery...... them come last night It said delivered AT 4.30 AM WHAT THE F--- as we didn't have the item and there is someone home all the time. Turns out this EBAY shipping mob had lost it.
                    I all the years of using US Postal service with my 1/4 scale stuff never a problem... but this ebay Mob CRAZY.
                    So I told My son today They lost the sub...Naturally he's Upset so Back to stage one looking for a decent size sub that's ezzy to build for a beginner
                    (I hear you all laughing NO such thing Big ,EZZY, Beginner) so the hunt continues. Brad

Comment

• thor
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2009

I'm not laughing. That is really sad!
                      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• ozzy hillbilly
                        • Aug 2014

Gday Matt
                        Mate do you still do the US Seawolf in 1/96 scale: Thordesign RC -2.
                        I seen a build on the net an I like the look of that kit.
                        Brad

Comment

• thor
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2009

I do not manufacturer that kit any longer. The only Nuke kit I produce right now is the Permit. I'm
                          Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X