• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayfel
    • Jan 2009

Russian Imperial (?) Submarine Badge

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/ ... G_1687.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/ ... G_1688.jpg
    I hope you can bear with me if I ramble on. In 1994 I was visiting Russia for the first time. Aside from the normal tourist activities, I was hoping to obtain a Soviet era submarine badge. Twenty years earlier I was a crew member* on the Hughes Glomar Explorer, which raised a portion (38 ft) of the Golf II, K-129 from 16,500 feet in the North Pacific. During exploitation of the wreck, we found a crew members inspection kit consisting of his badge (white metal with red enamel star) and belt buckle in remarkably good condition. Naturally, taking souvenirs was not permitted, but I always wanted one as a token of a memorable experience.

*I was a consultant, and interviewed on camera, for Michael White's film AZORIAN:The Raising of The K-129.

While in St. Petersburg, I visited the Military-Historical Museum of Artillery and was surprised to see a man wearing a submarine badge on his chest. When I approached him, I could see it was not the badge I was looking for. As I got closer, I could recognize what looked like the Russian Imperial double headed eagle emblem on the badge. He was middle aged, it obviously wasn't originally his so I stopped him and offered to buy it. I was surprised when he accepted. Not having a common language, I somehow received the impression it had belonged to a deceased relative. It was hard times, he wanted US dollars and he settled for $10. I later found some Soviet submarine badges at a flea market in Moscow.

Afterwards, I never gave the badge much thought. I just assumed it was what it appeared to be, a Russian Imperial Submarine badge and it put it with other stuff I had collected over the years. Recently, as the years accumulate, I've been organizing memorabilia, including my Air Crew wings, Korean war blood chit, flight records etc. I decided to research the badge and found it doesn't exist! The only Imperial submarine badge that I could find searching the web is the 1909 Imperial Russian Officer's Submarine Graduation badge, which looks nothing like my badge. I even purchased Prichard's book, seeing it referenced a number of times. No such badge in his book or many web collections I've viewed. As for the badge, It is well made and very nicely detailed, the masts and guns (barrel and Breech) are not attached. The shaft and screw are also separately formed. It is obviously not cliché (a term I learned from Prichard's book) and appears to be a very fine solid lost wax casting. I tested a scratch on the back with nitric acid and it seems to be a low silver copper base alloy. I'm now very intrigued by the mystery. I'm attaching photos and hope you can provide some information about it. It seems too good to be a fake. Why would anyone go to such an effort to fabricate a badge that doesn't seem to exist. Anyone have any information on this badge?

I'm not sure I'm posting images correctly. I hope they show up.
  • rayfel
    • Jan 2009

Re: Russian Imperial (?) Submarine Badge

The book by Pete Prichard is: Submarine Badges and Insignia of the World: An Illustrated Reference for Collectors

Cliché in this case, refers to impressing a design by stamping a thin metal plate between two matching dies.

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

I have several authentic WWII Russian Navy Submarine badges. Most of mine are from the Black Sea fleet and the North Atlantic fleet of the Shch(Pike) class. They are identical in fabrication to yours. The badge you have appears to be from the late war Malyutka class submarine and from the Black Sea fleet. I would place it between 1938 and 1941. It is a simple class service badge. Very common for the era.
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• rayfel
        • Jan 2009

Thor

When you say "they are identical in fabrication to yours." Do you mean they have what appears to be a double headed eagle emblem on the hull of the sub? Would a Soviet era "I would place it between 1938 and 1941" have a double headed eagle emblem? I've searched dozens of website collections of submarine badges and haven't seen anything resembling my badge. Also nothing like it in Prichard's book "Submarine Badges and Insignia of the World: An Illustrated Reference for Collectors". A little while ago I noticed that Amazon had a kindle version of "Submarine Insignia and Submarine Services of the World" by W. M. Thornton. I downloaded a copy and see that in addition to the Soviet era badges with the two deck guns and red enamel star (which I have a copy), the only other badge shown, in addition to some commemorative insignia, is the 1909 Imperial Russian Officer's Submarine Graduation badge. I'm confused! Could you please post a photo of your badge? I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

After looking into your badge a bit more, I think you are right. The sub badge does appear to be pre-wwii. It may very well be an imperial naval badge. I have a good collection of Soviet Era sub badges and none of them look like this. All of mine have the enamel painted red star.
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

Well, Hi Ray! Welcome to the Subcommittee site! Hope we can help you out!

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X