• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bottle_of_rum
    • Oct 2010

Idiot-proof ‘Hull Finishing & Painting’ know-how for Newbie

Hello All

This is my first post and I have no experience in model making of any kind, also please forgive me if some of the terminology isn’t correct.

4 to 5 years ago on a wet Sunday afternoon I decided to make a submarine – the funny thing was I knew nothing about where to start. 4-5 years later I’m still none-the-wiser and have a poorly made hull.

The hull is a composite of layers of fibreglass resin, external wall plaster and more fibreglass.

The problem I’m facing is my lack of ‘Finishing Skill’ as you may see from the pictures. What I have done hasn’t resulted in a smooth body.

I have attempted to correct the problem by adding more resin (+ sanding it down) but can never get it right.

Are there any techniques, tips or trick or many by an alternative material?

• bottle_of_rum
    • Oct 2010

Re: Idiot-proof ‘Hull Finishing & Painting’ know-how for Newbie

More Pictures

Comment

• Rogue Sub
      • Jul 2006

May suck to hear but you might be better off starting over with more information and technique on your side.

Might I reccomend you get this

it will help fill in some gaps and show you a fast way to build

Comment

• bill rogers
        • Sep 2003

Forget about using plaster, it's too heavy and messy to work with. It looks like you may have had a good start on fiberglassing before adding plaster and more resin. I would start over and once your fiberglassing is done spray it with gray primer to highlight the flaws. Fill in the dimples with autobody filler (I like the Evercoat polyester filler called Easy Sand) and block sand the high spots. Then repeat the process until you are happy with the finish. It will take awhile. Also, check out the many Builder Threads on this site and others.

Comment

• jeffrey j
          • Apr 2004

Stay away from the plaster and use bondo, it will stick to the figerglass easily and then can be filled and sanded easy with spot putty, both from Lowe's, if your doing a one off hull, this will work perfect. Or a plug, either way, I agree to stay away from the plaster. Use the bondo, and spot putty outside or in a garage. good luck. Jeff J.
          Too old to Rock- n- Roll, too young to die ! Subs are just my speed......

Comment

Working...
          X