X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Azorian Book & DVD-now available

I am pleased to announce that the book "Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" by Norman Polmar & Michael White is now available from Amazon.com. First copies shipped today. As I have had a significant role in the research for both the book & the film (and get a nice line in the acknowledgements), I will not be reviewing either the book or the film, but will be more than happy to answer any questions I can about either. BTW, the only pay I ever got was finding out the truth after all these years of following the story, and that is priceless.

The DVD from PBS will be available in the US on November 23rd. Here's the web link to that:

The book and the film are very complementary, and one is NOT a transcript of the other. The film was finished first, and the book followed from the film research, but added more information that became available on cause of the sinking and approaches the story from a different angle. Two very different experiences. If you want a detailed look at the actual technology employed (the Glomar Explorer, the Heavy Lift System and the Capture Vehicle or CV), extensive interviews with the engineers involved and the submarine lift itself, the DVD has it all. There is also video made on the bottom from the various CV cameras in the film. The book has a few still photos from the CV video.

It's been a long road (April 2006-October, 2010), but one heck of a trip! Hope you all enjoy finally reading & seeing the true story behind one of the most fantastic and fascinating technology stories of all time.

Best to all,
    Tom
  • tabledancer
    • Feb 2005

Re: Azorian Book & DVD-now available

I ordered mine on Tuesday,looking foward to its arrival.

TD

Comment

• robert f.
      SubCommittee Member
      • Jun 2006

I have had the dvd (ordered directly from Michael) for some months now. Very impressive, but about what caused the sub to sink in the first place I am non the wiser (the voice-over only briefly mentions "missile-related incidents").

I hope the book will shed more light on this. Where can I get a copy?

Robert

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

The book is available from Amazon.com. Now.

In the period between finishing the film and writing the book, additional information became available that indicates that an accident with the R-21 missiles led to the sinking. In addition to the physical evidence of the wreck itself (missile section ripped apart; 2 of 3 missile tubes badly damaged), the book has a Sanborn tracing from the Air Force (AFTAC) hydrophones that picked up the extended sounds of the K-129's demise. (No, it was not SOSUS).

Comment

• tabledancer
          • Feb 2005

My copy finally arrived last Wednesday and I really enjoyed the book,very technical but a very easy read.Don`t miss this one.

TD

Comment

• ramius-ii
            • Apr 2003

A few questions about the DVD. Are there more than one version? Is it a 2 part DVD or 2 DVD's? The reason I ask is that I have seen more details about the actual problems in raising the K-129, that one of the claws actually broke and that a burial at sea was video taped. It seemed that none of this was in what I viewed! The DVD on the Azorian website says it is a PAL version and in America we are NTSC so unless you have a multiformat DVD player it would not be viewable. Thanks all, just wondering.

Best, Ed

Comment

• ray feldman

There is only one version and it's a single 104 minute PAL DVD. Although many newer DVD players will play both formats, an NTSC version is scheduled to be released in Feb. Amazon is now taking pre-orders for it. If you were viewing the released DVD, I'm not sure why you were not seeing details of the "claw" break and the burial at sea of the Soviet submariners since they are both shown in the DVD.
              Ray

Comment

• tom dougherty
                • Jul 2005

As Ray mentions above, the PAL DVD is the only one, and it has been available from Michael White's site for over a year in a "Director's Cut" version
                http://www.projectjennifer.at/ There is a very detailed technical description (much more so than in the book) of the CV failure and the multiple reasons for it in the film. The burial at sea is also in the film.

I have successfully played it on my 6 year old Panasonic DVD player on a Sony HDTV. Most players can read multiregion PAL. Your computer's DVD drive will also play the PAL version as well, as the formats aren't relevant to computers. PAL is a higher resolution than NTSC, and more suitable for HDTV viewing.

[color=#FF0000]NOTE] I would be totally remiss if I did not mention that the answer you received was from Ray Feldman, who was the digital engineer on the Glomar Explorer, and was responsible for digital control of the Capture Vehicle. You will see several minutes of the interview with Ray in the film.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

The film was shown on television in Australia last week, and we are seeing a number of positive comments from Down Under.
                  Meanwhile, the book is selling well, has eight 5 star reviews on Amazon, and goes into a second printing.

Tom

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

UPDATE 12/30/2010. The film will be available next year thorugh Netflix, and will also be shown on Pay Per View in the US. You can still get the film directly from Michael White at his web site (posted above) or from PBS.

The book constinues to sell well, with 14 reviews posted on Amazon; 12 are five stars. Naval Institute Press has announced there will be a second printing in a few weeks, as most of the first press run is sold out.

Anyone in the DC area can attend this free presentation by Norman Polmar on the book & film:

Comment

• tom dougherty
                      • Jul 2005

UPDATE- The US NTSC Version (PBS Version) of the DVD is now available from Amazon.com.
                      See: http://www.amazon.com/Azorian-Raisin...d_bxgy_b_img_b
                      The original "Director's Cut" can still be obtained from Michael White, which has a different closing in which we respectfully list all of the names of the K-129 crew. We've received a lot of comments from participants in the original Azorian mission about the film (uniformly very positive and complimentary), as well as several notes from Russia.

The book continues to sell well, now $17.99 on Amazon]http://www.amazon.com/Project-Azorian-CIA-Raising-K-129/dp/1591146909/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b[/url]

Norman Polmar has been giving book lectures & showing film excerpts in the DC area on Azorian; those of you in that area, he will speak
                      at the following venues]
                      Political Science Dept
                      US Naval Academy
                      Annapolis, MD

25 Feb FRI 11:30 am Azorian
                      Naval Submarine League
                      Army-Navy Country Club
                      Arlington, VA

27 Feb SUN 9:45 am Azorian
                      Breakfast and Talk
                      Congregation Olam Tikvah
                      Fairfax, Virginia

6 April WED 12 noon Azorian
                      Navy Museum
                      Washington, DC

Comment

• tom dougherty
                        • Jul 2005

Talks by Norman Polmar on Project Azorian have been added to the schedule in the DC area:

21 April THUR Azorian
                        9 – 10 am
                        ASNE breakfast meeting
                        Maritime Plaza I (M Street)

17 May TUE 11 am Azorian
                        US Naval Academy Class of 1952
                        Fort Myer O-club

18 May WED 6:30 pm Azorian
                        Army & Navy Club
                        Washington, DC

The book and film continue to sell well.
                        Both are now available on Amazon.com

You can now have a look at some of the book's content from Amazon at:

Comment

• tom dougherty
                          • Jul 2005

HNSA has posted additional information on the Glomar Explorer. Lots of technical details about the ship itself and the Heavy Lift System operation. There is no information on the Capture Vehicle, just a crude block diagram labelled as an undersea work platform.

Comment

• scott t
                            • Feb 2003

The Azorian video is now available on Netflix.

Scott T

Comment

Working...
                            X