X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    • Sep 2007

Blue Spring fun run

Tuesday a few of us met at Blue Spring in High Springs Florida. Here are just two of the videos that were taken. I will post a bunch of pictures with the details later.
    http://www.vimeo.com/15808543 Im sorry about some of the language used by some, it was not intentionaly recorded.
    Al Nuchi's 66" Disney Nautilus 10-12-2010
  • greenman407
    • Sep 2007

Re: Blue Spring fun run

This is a really beautiful place. Its normally quite crowded but we intentionaly went on tuesday when its off season and all the kids are in school. It was perfect. It is a little small but it was adequate for smaller subs. Its reported that the springs generate 10,000,000 gallons a day.

By saying that its small I mean , if you want to go down deep into the hole or abyss you need a very manueverable sub that can go down in a hurry. Most of the big ones cant do it. For the big ones there is plenty of room to run around near the surface.

Comment

• greenman407
      • Sep 2007

So here you can see my heavily modified Subtek Albacore. With it I could go straight down and then go straight up corkscrewing on the way up. It was cool! The cork screwing effect was interesting. When you weight and foam your sub you do it to operate pretty much horizontally. When you go straight up it tends to wobble especially in the current. With the X tail feature it was very manueverable and that was with my bow planes disabled. I cant wait to see it perform with them in operation.

Here she is going vertical at a nice easy pace. I went full speed on one of the ascents and it almost left the water but not comepletely. If I could have gone deeper and had more room to build up speed it would have done better but the shape of the abyss there is narrow down deep so I erred on the side of caution and only went down about 20 feet.

With my sub set up in the wild I could easily go up or down at will like an elevator with the sub horizontal or driving it up and down vertically.

vertically scalling the wall. I bumped into the wall one time. How careless of me! My friend Alnuci turned me on to a good idea. He puts a sponge in his WTCs so that if a small amount of water gets in(not too much) the sponge will soak it up and it cant do any harm. In horizontal operation a small amount of water in there will just stay on the bottom of it and never touch any of the electronics. But when you go vertical not only will it get all over everything in there but on the WTCs that have a conduit leading to the front section, water will go thru it and get in there as well.

Comment

• greenman407
        • Sep 2007

Here is my buddy Al Nuci with his 66" Disney Nautilus. It is gas operated and has a huge motor not quite as big around as a beer can but pretty close.

His other Nautilus is about the same size and is pump jet propelled and is set up for dynamic diving.

Good operating procedure, the traditional Z cut.

The new working front dive planes. It gives the boat better control yet they easily remove for scale like appearance for display.

The large ballast tank in the background and the battery WTC in his hands.

Comment

• greenman407
          • Sep 2007

This thread would not be complete without this video shot by Al Nuci of the Albacore probing the deep depths of the abyss.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyA0YbXc ... ture=email

Comment

• greenman407
            • Sep 2007

Here is an outstanding running underwater video of Dave Santivanez Thunder Tiger being used as a camera ship trailing and filming Al Nuci's 66" Disney Nautilus. My 63" Oscar stuck its nose in for a brief cameo( it just couldnt resist).
            http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o254 ... I_0002.mp4

Comment

• greenman407
              • Sep 2007

Dave Santivanez(aquadeep) modified a Graupner shark with a LIPO and Yee Hah does it move. Like a zooped up torpedo!!

Well it wasnt long before it Zooped right into the wall and stuck there like an arrow in a target.

Look here at the clever stop action photography( Thank you, thank you) of Dave going in after the marooned shark. He plays the part of "Aquaman" very well. There were multiple instances where he had to go in after the shark. One time it actually went up into the mouth of the head spring and he had to go in after it.

Comment

• carcharadon
                • Feb 2003

I took the liberty to recompose one of Al’s great videos. It takes awhile to download.

Comment

• redboat219
                  • Jan 2005

Wow, you can still see the props turning on the Shark!

Comment

• greenman407
                    • Sep 2007

Carcharadon, Looks like you did some excellent editing to this video! Thanks, I saved it to my video file.

Comment

• carcharadon
                      • Feb 2003

Well my compliments to the videographer and captain Nemo both. One of these days I’d like to join you there in that clear water.

Comment

• greenman407
                        • Sep 2007

Its a nice place to be sure but its a little small. There is another Blue Springs, its a State park in Deltona. The spring feeds the St. Johns river or more correctly adds to it. Its very popular. They are closed for winter. We would need to go during school on a weekday like Tuesday. I plan on making a run over there to see it as I never viewed it with the eye for suitability for model submarines. Ginnie springs is also good but its small as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X