X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    • Sep 2007

U-2513

This type 21 was laid down on July 19th 1944. It conducted no war patrols although it served under two captains. It was surrendered at wars end and was transferred to the US Navy for testing and evaluation. It recieved a major overhaul starting in August of 1946. It was then tested and retested. The results of those tests initiated the GUPPY program. On 12-5-47 Harry S. Truman became the first US President to travel aboard a submarine, the U-2513. It was decomissioned and destroyed by rocket fire from DD-827 Robert A. Owens on 10-7-1951. I became interested in these submarines because the sail looked so different from the usual configuration found on type 21s. Thats because during the overhauls the turrets that housed the twin 20mm cannons were removed and blanked out. Then it would seem that further work was done on U-3003 because its sail looks even more modified.

This insignia was used on the U2513 as well as 4 other U boats with slight changes

This shot is of the USS Argonaut that was damaged tied up alongside the U2513

Now we have a reference on the size of the snorkle head.

U2513 in formation with two Fleet subs.
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Re: U-2513

On 12-5-47 Harry S. Truman became the first US President to travel aboard a submarine, the U-2513.
    I seem to recall that Teddy Roosevelt was the first U.S. president to take a ride in a submarine, one of the first(?) Holland-class "A" boats. Can anyone confirm?

Also, if some interest to SubCommittee members, the second captain of the U-2513 was Erich Topp.....who was a long-time member of the SubCommittee before his passing. The red devil logo that Mark posted followed Topp as he moved from boat to boat. It's a very familiar "wappen emblem" for those following Type VIIC U-boats.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• greenman407
      • Sep 2007

Thanks Jeff for joining in. The source for my info on the first President to ride a sub came from Google/Navsource and it came as a surprise to me also. But just because its in writing somewhere on the internet doesnt mean that its so. The very fact that you are questioning it gives me reason to suspect that it might be in error.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

Mark,

You're absolutely right.....the Internet is a good and bad thing as a source of good information.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
        X