X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    • Sep 2007

Julliet missle fire control

This is a Fuse out of the missle fire control system on board the K-77 Julliet. My friend Gary Routh aquired (swiped) it back in 2000 when it was in Florida. It was wrapped in electrical grease and wax paper. A knowledgable consultant available at the time confirmed its function. Its very heavy. it is 70mm in dia. and 93mm long and weighs about 5 lbs. Heavy duty!
  • greenman407
    • Sep 2007

Re: Julliet missle fire control

I noticed what appeared to be english writing on it so I took it to my Russian translater here at work and she tells me that it is indeed Russian. Some of the Russian alphabet is the same as english, just pronounced differently. There are definately Russian characters on it. Since I am certified in electrical troublshooting I am going to take it apart and see what I can see. I would imagine that it is more than a fuse. Probably has a built in overload so that it can be reset.

Comment

• tabledancer
      • Feb 2005

Verrry interesting.I would be wanting to see more on this.

TD

Comment

• greenman407
        • Sep 2007

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to open it up. Surprise! After opening it and looking inside the mystery just gets bigger. What you see is a armature and field like what you would find in a motor. Its got a heavy epoxy like coating on all the windings

Here the armature is pulled out and you can see two wires going to it from inside. Because the armature is only allowed to move just a little bit , there is no need for brushes as it is only allowed to turn about 1 degree.

Here are the electrical contacts on the outside. The two wires going to the armature go to the two outside ones marked P1 and P2. Reading across them you get 16 ohms. The other conectors are pairs and they go to two seperate windings within the field. They each read 16 ohms.

The shaft of the armature sticks out this side thru the bracket there in the center which fits in a slot that has a strong spring loaded pin and on the other side of it is an adjusting screw to balance and adjust the unit. All I can figure is that its part of a larger system that balances the rotational opposing magnetic forces of the armature and the fields and by adjusting the armatures clock position they are varying one magnetic field against the other. Why? Search me! Must be Russian! Seems to me that its the hard way to get to where they want to go. I dont know. But its interesting nevertheless. Two different cultures traveling down two different roads in their aim to acheive the same thing, to launch a missle.

Comment

• tabledancer
          • Feb 2005

Maybe it was part of some sort of safety interlock system.Or maybe it is a trap to confuse those crazy Americans!

Comment

• greenman407
            • Sep 2007

Could be. Its made of stainless and constructed very robustly. It looks like it could last forever. My electric motor rebuilder said that he didnt know and could not fathom a purpose for such a thing. Its not a stepper motor because they must be free to rotate freely and then stop at a precise position everytime. This thing is restricted to just a couple of degrees of movement.

Comment

• greenman407
              • Sep 2007

That is the only thing that makes since thusfar Tabledancer,,,,,,,,an interlock system. Perhaps power is applied to the three windings which all measure the same thing 16 ohms. If there is any deviation outside of the set parameters, the system will refuse to function. That makes sence. As you know a VOM(volt,ohm,meter)is easily fooled by ghost voltages as it functions on a very week signal whereas by applying current thru a winding we (or they) are testing the system under load.

Comment

• tabledancer
                • Feb 2005

Yes,it could be a sort of protection for the firing circut,as to make sure that 2 or more switches are ingaged together to launch.Or it might control the toilet valves,"the shadow knows"!!!!!

TD

Comment

• greenman407
                  • Sep 2007

Ah! Now you are dating yourself. My mom used to tell me about the radio show "Shadow" before they had TV, when she was a little girl. Imagine if the US had a "Shadow" on the payroll!

Comment

• greenman407
                    • Sep 2007

I KNOW! I KNOW! I could put it on Ebay! The Russian military would buy it back for $99 to keep the" CAPITALISTS from discovering the Motherlands secret of missle fire control on obsolete but sucessful secret submarine fleet held in reserve for preemptive strike on Americans pitiful homeland."

Comment

• tabledancer
                      • Feb 2005

I believe that would be the best thing to do.Then you could take the profit and retire to an old Russian sub base and live the life.Better yet maybe you could call up "American Pickers" and see what kind of a deal you can get fom them.

I used to listen to all of those old radio shows on my "crystal set",so you better watch out for us "old guys",remember The Shadow Knows!!!!!!!!!

TD

Comment

• greenman407
                        • Sep 2007

OH MY!

Comment

• greenman407
                          • Sep 2007

I emailed a Instructer of mine who now works for NTT. Sending him these very same pictures hes going to look it over and see what he thinks. He used to serve on the Seaowl and the Archerfish. He said he even got to drill some holes in the NAUTILUS of all things! Hes undergoing surgey right now and will get back to me in the near future. Im sure that all this kind of stuff is all done by semiconductors and IC chips now, but back in the day..........................

Comment

• tabledancer
                            • Feb 2005

Very good.It would be interesting to know for sure.Be sure and post anything you here.

TD

Comment

• greenman407
                              • Sep 2007

He calls it a power circuit breaker. The two fields are energized which creates opposing forces to the rotation of the armature. So if one field drops out(representing one part of the ignition circuit) the armature will rotate to a point which will kick out the system......maybe. Only the Shadow knows for sure, but hes being awfully quiet these past few years......I think that he must have retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X