X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

UPDATE!! FILM Azorian: The Raising of the K-129, and now th

Additional information and photos have been added to the web site as of today. Have fun...

• robert f.
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jun 2006

Hi Tom,

any news on the

Hi Tom,

any news on the DVD release? I read on the website that the documentary has been/will be presented at MIPdoc in Cannes, but I couldn't find anything about the DVD.

Robert

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

Here's the somewhat discouraging position

Here's the somewhat discouraging position at present. Many film distributors across the world have seen the film, but they are all interested in a one hour "cut down version" of the 2 hour DVD. They feel it is too long and too technical for the general audience. Remember, this is the golden era of "American Idol" on US television, and they think that is all people can handle.

Anyhow, it now looks that Michael White will (after extreme and I feel justified reluctance on his part) do a one hour version. This will probably end up on US television in Spring 2010. This will also help to alert people (who are a lot smarter than they are given credit for, in my opinion) to the existence of the 2 hour "Director's Cut" DVD version, to be distributed in the US (I believe) by PBS. This may be available a lot sooner than next Spring; I'll post here details where and when the DVD can be ordered.

Michael put over three years of his life and considerable personal sacrifice into this film. I do hope when it becomes available that there will be a surge of interest, similar to what we saw when the book "Blind Man's Bluff" came out. This is the real story of the recovery effort, with interviews of engineers who were out at the recovery site, as well as video and a CGI recreation that is extremely accurate and detailed.

When you think of all the speculation that has gone on over the years on this operation (e.g., Blind Man's Bluff, Red Star Rogue), I think people are very eager to hear the true story from those who lived it.

Here is a sneak preview of one of the CGI frames, with the Glomar Explorer lowering the "Capture Vehicle" claw to the ocean floor.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

Any chance Michael would consider

Any chance Michael would consider a direct sale of the full two-hour movie on DVD?

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

Jeff,
          Oh, yeah, I think

Jeff,
          Oh, yeah, I think it is very likely that will happen, and sooner than next spring. One aim of getting the one hour version on commercial TV is to drive DVD sales, but there is no point in delaying release of the longer 2 hour edition.

Comment

• slats
            • Feb 2003

For those non-US residents that

For those non-US residents that want to buy a copy will other regions type DVDs be able to be purchased? i.e Australia is "Region 4"

Thanks
            J

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

Yes, there will be a

Yes, there will be a seperate version in the DVD format (forget the technical names- NTSC and PAL?) that the rest of the world other than the US uses. Michael is working out of Vienna and I think one of the German networks will handle that end of things.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                • Jul 2005

More Links to film

[b] Here's a new link to look at some of the CGI footage and the movie poster]

Comment

• shadowpeo
                  • Nov 2003

For those non-US residents that

For those non-US residents that want to buy a copy will other regions type DVDs be able to be purchased? i.e Australia is "Region 4"

Thanks
                  J
                  If your TV can handle NTSC (most modern ones can) and you have a modern DVD player you should be fine as DVD regioning is illegal in Australia and all DVD Players should be Region 0, thereby negating any regioning on the DVD.

Just so that you know this is all legal, the ACCC deemed that DVD regioning was illegal basically due to the fact it limited people choice of where to get DVD's from and was anti compeditive behaviour, hence they deemed it illegal

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

The web site has been

The web site has been updated with additional photos of the Hughes Glomar Explorer. There is also a link to sign up for additional news and a notice when the film becomes available for distribution.

I have seen the final cut of the 2 hour preview version..... and I am stunned. Trust me, this one will be memorable when you see it.

Comment

• ojm
                      • Sep 2008

Looks great! Can't wait until

Looks great! Can't wait until its release!!!

Comment

• robert f.
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Jun 2006

I just received an e-mail

I just received an e-mail from Michael White stating that the DVD will be released on November 4th!

Check it out on www.projectjennifer.at

Robert

Comment

• robert f.
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Jun 2006

Additional: the DVD can be

Additional: the DVD can be purchased directly from Michael's website FROM NOVEMBER 4TH.

Robert

Comment

• tom dougherty
                            • Jul 2005

There will be another major

There will be another major announcement about the Azorian Story Michael has uncovered shortly.

The DVD that Michael will be selling from his web site is the PAL format. I have no problem playing it on my computer with Vista, and can play it on a TV using a connecting cable. The US NTSC version will be sold through PBS International...eventually....sometime....

I have the preview version of the DVD (which will differ from the final only in an upgrade on one CGI sequence).

Comment

• wayne frey
                              • Aug 2003

Tom,
                              Can we get on

Tom,
                              Can we get on some kind of preorder list? I will be wanting one the day it comes out. I may have a senoir moment and miss it !
                              I have seen enough to know this is a "gotta have" in my video library.

Comment

Working...
                              X