• Show
Clear All
  • kazzer
    Banned
    • Oct 2006

Current membership sits at 600

Aha!

Current membership sits at 600
    Aha! It's you eh? You're the new Membership Chairman.

Well come on then young man, get to work and tidy up the figures. The web page says we have 1177 registered users.

Comment

• Rogue Sub
      • Jul 2006

Ah ha old one! I

Ah ha old one! I am not allowed to touch the Forum.. They got the email though

Comment

• raalst
        • Feb 2003

We have 1177 people using

We have 1177 people using up bandwidth in this forum, and about 600 people paying for that (and for a very nice magazine), yes.

both numbers are correct.

Comment

Does the membership list exist

Does the membership list exist in electronic form?

I'd appreciate a copy if it does.

I'm still of the belief that electronic distribution is the way forward for the Sub Committee report.

It could be my imagination, but the international membership seems to have diminished in recent years.

Comment

• kazzer
            Banned
            • Oct 2006

We have 1177 people using

We have 1177 people using up bandwidth in this forum, and about 600 people paying for that (and for a very nice magazine), yes.

both numbers are correct.
            And there is the problem. Only 600 people coughing up for a quality gloss print which supposedly retails at $15 per quarterly edition. The subscriptions leave a big hole in the budget methinks.

I think the $15 cost is way too much money and is probably off-putting to potential new members, therefore circulation is way down.

If the product were on the news stand for about $5-6 then I think the SC would sell several thousand each edition. With stats like that, it must be more appealing to vendors wanting to advertise.

Subculture suggests an electronic version being the ideal. I would agree that most paid-up members should receive the mag that way, but that still does not reach the average Joe who's never seen this hobby before. So I would do both, sell the magazine on the news-stands and save money by emailing members the electronic version.

BTW The last issue (June 2009) had an awful photo on it, grainy, out of focus, lacking color and generally very un-interesting. Pics like that won't sell it. Sorry.

Comment

• Rogue Sub
              • Jul 2006

OMG Have you seen the

OMG Have you seen the caswell catalog not a single pretty picture

Yes the membership list exists in digital form and is then printed for the yearly address book.

As for electronic distribution of the SCR. That is being looked at. Actually my copy of the the last SCR is a digital copy. Even has a very snappy label printed right on the disk. Cool stuff. Now if you could piggy back a cd version of one of our better issues with a well distributed magazine...sha zam! A bit like when a game magazine includes a free game demo. No idea what that would cost us though. Not sure another magazine would want to advertise another magazine as well.

Perhaps we could put together a special edition SCR aimed at new talent that would only ever see digital production. You could then smear it all over the web as a free trail download and such. We would only be out the time it took to make the thing and no actual money.
              It would have to be filled with "the good stuff" and some great how 2 articles. Perhaps some 2 part articles where you get the other half when you get on board as your welcome aboard package.

Food for thought.

Comment

• kazzer
                Banned
                • Oct 2006

OMG Have you seen the

OMG Have you seen the caswell catalog not a single pretty picture
                It's a capital C! And anyway, we're not putting it on a news stand. It's a whole different marketing thing, so get back to deck swabbing!

Perhaps we could put together a special edition SCR aimed at new talent that would only ever see digital production. You could then smear it all over the web as a free trail download and such. We would only be out the time it took to make the thing and no actual money.
                Food for thought.
                Now this is an idea. But why not put together a special book, maybe bigger then the normal one, but with a bunch of the really good articles from the past?
                There is plenty of material in back issues.

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                  • Jul 2006

Yup you dont even have

Yup you dont even have to write new material. There are lots of good articles out there.

I do know we currently have one of our older issues available for download on the site but who knows about it? Anyone? I like the idea of a more specialized issue.

Oh and I dont swab decks anymore Mike. Unless I am using a nub to do it. I am to high a rank for that. Now taking out the garbage and shredding confidential material... Nothing but pro.

Comment

• kazzer
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2006

Oh and I dont swab

Oh and I dont swab decks anymore Mike. Unless I am using a nub to do it. I am to high a rank for that. Now taking out the garbage and shredding confidential material... Nothing but pro.
                    Well, you are doing better than Merriman did. Seems he was always in trouble and relegated to scraping bird poop off the sail. I'd love to have seen that!

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                      • Jul 2006

Well he was a knuckle

Well he was a knuckle draggin torpedoman and wasnt good for much else was he. Not to mention he had a habit of punching his superiors....

Now back to the subject at hand.

I want to make this special issue of the SCR a reality. I would also like to have it include alot of vendor links and website links so guys can find the product to get started. If you are interested in contributing new material let me know. I will be starting a new thread for this topic.

Comment

• southern or
                        • May 2014

Re: Member hobby spending

Wow, my Typhoon put me in the high end.

Comment

• submetrologist
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Jul 2012

Talking about hobby spending. My new Engel Gato kit with retractable front dive planes is on its way.

Comment

Working...
                          X