• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sebastianp
    • Mar 2009

New submarine modeler!

Hi everyone!

My name is Sebastian, I'm a 30 y.o career unemployee (sigh) from Malmö, Sweden. I've been interested in submarines since forever, particularly ballistic missile subs (I think it started way back with a 1/350 kit of the USS Ohio), and while my budget and living space can't quite handle R/C submarines, I've managed to come up with a decent sub-stitute. (pun unavoidable!)

Nowadays, rather than build them in plastic, I've started building in 3D, where I can detail them to my heart's content, store them without taking up half my apartment, and sail them without worrying about having to retrieve them from the bottom of some murky lake... Plus, the pyrotechnics are much safer to handle!

As to how I ended up on this forum, I found it while crawling the web for references on the Ohio class - specifically I found Pirate's WIP thread for the 1/96 kit, which is lovely and I want one but I couldn't pay for it in a million years. (which is really sad, since I have two minute's walk to the local community 25x50m pool...)

Right now I'm busy building a collection of submarines which will eventually be available freely on the web, once I'm satisfied with them. I've started on a bunch already, but the ones nearest and dearest to my heart are the Ohio, the Virginia, and a sci-fi sub that's most closely described as a hybrid of the two, which is my take on a future followon to the Ohio.

Here's a few pics from my collection of test renders:

Virginia class in the foreground, and the "Leviathan", my codename for the Ohio followon. This render was an experiment with the hull material, but it probably shows the details better than any of my other shots...

The closest sub here is a start on the Los Angeles class. Eventually there'll be at least seven different versions of this one, depicting various stages of the 688 design evolution, from the unadorned 688 without the Towed array or anechoic tiles, to the Seawolf technology testbed with the pumpjet propulsor. Second is the Virginia again, then the Ohio (early unfinished version), then the "Leviathan".

Very early stage render of several attack subs, showing roughly how I go about making them. From right to left, Skipjack, Permit, Sturgeon, Los Angeles, and a somewhat oversized version of the Jimmy Carter, with the Leviathan furthest from the camera.

Foredeck of the Leviathan. Old render.

The head of an optronic mast as fitted to the Astute class, modeled after a photo on the manufacturer's site. This one has about twice as many polygons as the submarine it's fitted on, courtesy of all those rivets...

Another really early render, showing the missile doors on the Leviathan, and the missile deck details. Back when this render was made, the missile doors would only move as a group - they've since been separated so they open independently.

Early attempt at a ballistic missile launch effect.

Latest render, showing the start of a Benjamin Franklin-class and a Triomphant class sub. Othographic, scale is 5 pixels per meter.

Now, topside detail is fairly easy to come by, and even side details aren't too difficult, but one thing I'm having major trouble with where I'm pretty sure you can help (which is the reason I came here...) is the underside. About the only sub I've found anything usable about the underside for is the Ohio, and that's only due to Pirate's WiP pics. I'd like to add decently accurate ballast inlets and anchor doors etc for the rest of the subs as well, hopefully...

Cheers,

SP

(PS]http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/ ... s/?start=0[/url])
  • junglelord
    • Jan 2009

Hi, Welcome from the new

Hi, Welcome from the new Canadian Member

How about some Seaview pictures to include with your excellent 3D skills.

Comment

• sebastianp
      • Mar 2009

I hadn't planned on making

I hadn't planned on making a Seaview, really - I never saw much more than snippets of the show, since the few times it aired it collided with either my favorite afternoon cartoons (which looked better visually, and had more intelligent plots, or at least that was my opinion at nine or so). Besides, without inventing a bunch of detail, the Seaview looks a bit boring compared to a real sub.

Real subs on the other hand, I don't have to invent details for, they're all there on the web I just have to sift through them. And for sci-fi military subs like my Leviathan, I can mostly stick with reusing the same details as are on the real ones...

Besides, I get to do much cooler stuff with boomer and fast attack models than I would with the Seaview, like making stuff blow up! Even the real submariners don't get to do that very often...

Cheers!

Comment

• mikelatnz
        • Jun 2016

3D modeling

Hi Sebastian,

Would you be interested in modeling the British Astute class I have access to a 3D printer at our local university and have been playing with a 3D model in SolidWorks.

Regards

Mike Latimer
        NZ

Comment

• PaulC
          Administrator
          • Feb 2003

Sebastian,

Great work! I love the detail and the benefits you put forth for working in 3D (cost, space savings, etc.). Never thought of it that way. Keep posting.
          Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
          <><

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

You guys do realize this is a 7 year old post. BD
            sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
            "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

Working...
            X