X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noney
    • Jul 2008

Question for 1:1 Submariners out there

My youngest son just finished his second year at college and has decided he wants to experience a little more of life, and then finish school. In high school he was an honor roll student who took all the college prep classes such as foreign language, math thru calculus, physics, chemistry, English, and all the rest of the stuff. In college he has been taking Physics, Chemistry, math etc and doing quite well. In addition he is somewhat mechanical minded and a fast learner.

He is thinking about joining the Navy and in particular wants to become a submariner. He thinks that is the "elite" corp of the Navy and he likes submarines. He is 6'3" tall and weighs in at about 175 -180. Is this too tall for a submariner, and just what should he know before he talks to a Navy recruiter? Any information you can give me will be of help. Thanks.

Gene
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Question for 1:1 Submariners out there

I retired on 20, and, I was 6"3", 185, for my entire career. I, also, had a Weapons officer who was <>6'6" 200+, so you son's "petite" size isn't a problem.
    But, just two things. First, with his intellect and education, they'll probably want him to go Nuke. That's a 6 year obligation. He wants to think, real hard, about that, before going there.
    Secondly, "If it ain't in writing, it don't happen." Have the recruiter put everything you agree to, in the contract, BEFORE he signs it
    If you have a "Sub Base" (USSVI) near you, try to contact some of them. They may be able to help you. There's nothing like having a couple of submariners, standing there, when you talk to the recruiter.
    If you live in the Phoenix, AZ area, drop me a line at << Mkeatingss (at) cox.net >>. I'd be honored to go, with you and your son. And, I can probably get a few of my trouble making buddies to join us.

DBF,
    Mike K.

Comment

• noney
      • Jul 2008

Hi Mike,
      My wife and

Hi Mike,
      My wife and I appreciate your comments, and especially, your willingness to accompany our son to the recruiter's office. As my wife says, "thats pretty darn nice". Unfortunately, we live up here in Oregon on the coast.
      Having enlisted in the U.S. Army several decades ago, I know that the recruiter may "suggest" things that might not be entirely correct, and one must take them with a "grain of salt". Even knowing that, and having worked with contracts most of my career, for some reason I did not think about applying the "get it in writing" rule that you pointed out. Thank you.

Speaking of nukes, one of the occupational specialties he liked was Engineering and Power which does include nuke power plants. I'll let him know about the 6 year commitment, but at the age of 20, my thoughts are that it is not too long. (That is easy for me to say I guess) It appears that this country is going to have to go to more nuke power generation so if he did not want to continue with college upon fulfilling his obligation he might have a good career with the knowledge he gains.

Again, thank you for your comments and I wish we lived closer to you.

Gene

Comment

• cob
        • Apr 2004

1:1 Sub life

Gene,
        I spent 27 years on Subs, retired two years ago. I agree with Mike, his height is no issue. I also agree that with his academic background, Recruiters will try to steer him towards nuke power. The sis year commitment includes two years of training followed by a four year tour at sea. Nukes get great bonuses for reenlisting ($70K+). That said, the work is hard the hours are long and it can be extremely tedious. Nuclear Submarines don't have a good safety record by accident. It requires mind-numbing attention to detail, continuing training and qualification and the jhighest standards of integrity. Non-nuclear technical jobs include sonar, fire control, and navigation. All have their pro's and con's. His first year on board would be spent qualifying submarines, watchstanding proficiency and mess-cooking (up to 120 days of washing dishes, peeling potatos, taking out the trash etc). You've got to be able to get along with people you may not really like in close proximity for long periods of time and expect to be trated like a "new guy" until you've got your dolphins. Some guys can handle it, some can't.
        hope this helps,
        Rob

Comment

• Rogue Sub
          • Jul 2006

Sounds just like me. I

Sounds just like me. I made it about 3yrs through college and then part way through my first semester of year three I dropped out and left for the Navy. I went in wanting to be a gunners mate or jet engine mechanic but after their test they threw Nuke Power in my face with a sizable signing bonus. It was ofcourse more cash then I had ever seen so I went for it.
          Originally I planned to go surface because I was facinated by the size of the carriers but, like your son, I decided to go submarine to do what others have not and join the "elite" you could say.
          It is my opinion now, that if you have made it through college that far it is best to finish. The thing is why not let the navy pay for it and in the end go in as a nuke officer on a sub. It is another rough process but in the end if he decides he want to leave the navy he will be leaving with a resume that others cannot beat! I now wish I had done that but theres no need to look back now!

If he has questions about the nuke field,enlisted life, subs, boot camp, etc. have him send me an email and ill answer to the best of my ability.

Kevin ( active duty nuclear mechanic submariner)

Comment

• noney
            • Jul 2008

Thank all of you for

Thank all of you for the information. I will share this with my son. He is one of those guys that everyone likes. He loves to cook, plays all sorts of musical instruments, well read, and is easy going. He is right now debating on whether to continue with school or join the Submarine Service. He does, however, have one disability, he stutters. Once he is comfortable in a situation the stuttering goes away. Many people don't even know he stutters, but sometimes it can be bad to the point of "blocking". If you have ever been around someone that stutters you know that one of the most difficult things for them is to say their own name. He sent an email to the Navy about a month ago asking if that would keep him out, but as of now no answer. I fear that a recruiter will tell him it will not be a problem when in fact it will severely limit his options. Do any of you know what problems this may present? Thanks.

Gene

Comment

• Rogue Sub
              • Jul 2006

I cant see why they

I cant see why they would stop him from going in.
              Only thing I can say is that if he does it when he stressed or uncomfortable it could create stressful situations for him. Especially during drill days where he could possible be the guy making the calls to stop the casualty. If he cant get them out there would be issues. Not to mention people who speak poorly on the phones can be ridiculed pretty badly. Its best to have a really thick skin to consider submarines PERIOD. We have a tendency to feed on our own for entertainment. Thick skin!
              Kevin

Comment

• wlambing
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Gene,

I had the pleasure

Gene,

I had the pleasure of serving on USS Trepang with a great kid who also stuttered. Granted, we were A-Gangers and not nukes, but all of the important stuff belonged to us anyway! My PO3 would get frustrated once in awhile, but never, ever let any of it get to him. As his chief, I got him set up for therapy during our in-port periods, through the Medical Department Rep. onboard. Notice, this is after Boot camp, SubSchool, etc. I seriously doubt that your boy will have any problem getting into the Navy and seeking out a meanigful job in any warfare specialty. These sorts of things can be corrected with some proper attention to the problem. Hell, even guys that wear "Coke-Bottle" lenses, that are blind as bats without them, get to play! The neat thinG about a Sub crew, and even closer, the Division you're in, is that after awhile you can almost read each other's minds while conducting evolutions and fighting catastrophes. We got to the point that when necessary, we would finish the PO3's sentences with amazing accuracy and a big smile from the kid. Go For It!!

Bill
                MMCS(SS), USN (Ret.)
                Last COB- USS U.S. Grant
                Frmr. Overhaul Barge Mate of Mr. Keating, above (Hi, Mike!)

Comment

• noney
                  • Jul 2008

I really appreciate all of

I really appreciate all of your comments and recommendations. My son is not ashamed of his stuttering, and will freely talk about it to anyone that is interested. He has a great deal of self confidence, but at the same time can laugh at his own foibles. I think this is one of the reasons people like him. Personally, I would like to see him go in the Navy and Submarine Service, and serve his country. I did, in the Army, and have never regretted it, and he has a Lt Colonel in the AF for a brother who loves it. He is giving it a lot of thought and all the comments received here will go a long way in clarifying issues for him. Thank you all.

Gene

Comment

• n1lul
                    • Sep 2008

Navy Nuke

I was a submarine nuke for 14 years. Like anything else I had good times and bad. The one thing it did get me was a very good career once I got out.
                    You would be hard pressed to find a civilian job that pays as well as commercial nuclear power does for a person without a college degree.

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                      • Jul 2006

oh yeah? How bout hookin

oh yeah? How bout hookin up the sweet job?

Comment

• n1lul
                        • Sep 2008

Send me a PM or

Send me a PM or email

I work at a Nuke plant in Maryland. Both Heath Physics and Chemistry. I can give you some pointers on how to get into the industry.

Ray

Comment

• Rogue Sub
                          • Jul 2006

In coming!

In coming!

Comment

• david h
                            • Feb 2003

Hey , the RAN is

Hey , the RAN is desperate for new Submariners! You could go for a trip on a Collins!

Comment

• noney
                              • Jul 2008

Hey , the RAN is

Hey , the RAN is desperate for new Submariners! You could go for a trip on a Collins!
                              Hi David, my astronomer son has spent a great deal of time in your great country and has nothing but good things to say about it. Did you know the moon is upside down over Australia. In any event, I do not know how my youngest could take advantage of your offer, although it certainly would be an adventure. Speaking of which, he has definitely decided to join the Navy. He plans to go back to school after getting out. I am travelling over to Eugene today and will show him all of these posting, but since I have to travel to Arizona on Thursday, I want him to wait until I get back before seeing a recruiter, and just gather facts right now. I am going to take advantage of offers here, and will probably PM some of you guys. Thank you.

Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X