X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick
    • Sep 2005

U 505

Was in Chicago and couldnt pass up the oppurtunity to go see the U 505 again.....I was quite disappointed as they do not allow photos on the inside of the boat anymore....I was wondering how long this has been in effect?? I was thinking of writing a letter to the curator expressing my displeasure over this policy......I wonder if this can be changed.....what do you think??
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Rick,

That policy has been in

Rick,

That policy has been in effect at least since '06 when we visited the sub on our way back from the Subregatta. Do they still have that canned presentation going on as you walk through the boat? IIRC, you need to keep moving along to stay in sync with the show. No time to interrupt the traffic flow for a pix, and possibly any flash might disrupt things. Wouldn't want to distract the other visitors from the "experience". I too was disappointed not getting any interior shots. We did get to meet the curator, however, and rest of the tour was most enjoyable.
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• rick
      • Sep 2005

We had a young guy

We had a young guy doing the tour...he was nice enough...but not really versed on U boats...or their history....kind of lame really...but none the less....enjoyable....I guess as Submarine Aficionados we expect a little more...I think the no picture policy is absolutely ludicrous though....there should be an option at least where you pay a little more and are able to take a little more time and take pics......just my opiinion though....fwiw

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

Last summer I stopped there

Last summer I stopped there on my way west,and had booked the special tour of the boat and display area.According to my records this special tour cost about $5.00 extra and they give you a private tour of the boat and display when the rest of the Museum is closed.I had 5 other people in my group and the tour lasted about 2 hrs.They showed us every square inch of the boat,and let us take all the pictures that we wanted,I took over 150 pictures of the boat.Also included with the tour is a continental breakfast and a package of information on the boat and the capture at sea.This a very good tour and is only given on certain days,so the best thing to do is check the website and make your plans.

TD

Comment

• rick
          • Sep 2005

Wow.....had I known about this

Wow.....had I known about this I would have gladly paid the extra fee....and for five dollars more...its a bargain.....thanx....I will look into this......Rick

Comment

• tabledancer
            • Feb 2005

The only problem was that

The only problem was that I had to start the tour early Sunday morning,about 8 or 9am as I recall.

TD

Comment

• bigdave
              • Feb 2003

Inside photos or not, it

Inside photos or not, it is a very cool thing to see. The inside has been changed some anyway to make the tour more interactive. I was in it years ago when it was basically stock inside. It is a must see if you are in the area. BD.
              sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
              "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• pirate
                • Oct 2005

Well they spent so much

Well they spent so much money refurbishing the boat and building its new digs that they had to revamp the experience somehow. But like Dave said, it is an awesome experience to walk those decks no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                X