• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipper
    • Feb 2003

how to prep a fiberglass hull for paint? - painting polyester hull

Hi,
    What should I use to prep a polyerster glass hull for paint? My Engel Gato is getiin anxious to sail
    Thanks, Walt SC#1903

Happy Birthday Walt,
    To prep your

Happy Birthday Walt,
    To prep your hull for painting you should lightly scuff the surface with 220 to 400 WD sandpaper. If you use the 400 WD take an ice cream bucket of warm water with a drop of Dawn dish soap (It lubes the paper and also removes skin oils from the surface). After it's all sanded wash in warm water with Dawn again and let dry, the surface should be dull from all angles and in any light. You're now ready to prime and paint.

Mike Day SC#2502

Edited By DaveMike on 1050708734

Comment

G'day Walt.
      I just

G'day Walt.
      I just painted my type VII hull on Friday and I used a prepping agent called Easy Surface Prep. I have used this stuff many times before and works great. They even claim that it will stick paint to glass. You just rub it on,then rub it off and paint after 90 minutes. If you can not get that brand, I am sure there are many products at your local paint store that will do the same job.Before you do anything, Wipe the hull with isopropel alcohole to get rid of all your waxy finger marks.You can get this from your chemist(Sorry,DRUG STORE).
      Regards Keith

Comment

Working...
      X