X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Falling asleep

I know how hard it must have been to create this web page, and I enjoy this hobby very much but....how can I say this as politely without hurting anyone's feelings.....this new web page puts me to sleep like a shopping mall.

I can't seem to connect here, there was something about the immediacy of the old site. I miss helping folks helping them find the answers to a question. The old page had a vitality which was both a pleasure AND it's problem from those whom abused it's privileges. I don't mean I miss the old long winded rants either...we surely don't need that back!

I know one vendor who's sales have taken a steep dive since this new page went up. I do not know if there is any correlation here or not. Worried. Every time I visit here (once a day) I always log off wondering if I have missed something. I don't want to pour water on the party cake, but are others experiencing the same thing? Maybe the web page needs more refinement, it is hard to explain...but I feel some how detached. Maybe this is what I need to get more done in the shop. Sorry Andy and Exec committee, I guess we just can't win here. Listening.

Most Respectfully with best wishes,

Steve Reichmuth
  • robse
    • Mar 2003

Hi

My name's Robert, and I've

Hi

My name's Robert, and I've used the site both the old site and this new one. I must say that I still get alot of answers (Good ones) when I post an issue, and there's still other Q's to answer for others. At the same time I like the new structure where it's divided into "General", "Tips-n-Tricks" etc... makes it easier to scan.
    Also the thing that you have to log on is good. It brings people out in the open as if we were really sitting in a club house, discussing hobby issues, and knowing oneanother.
    --- just my humble opinion.

Comment

• thierryc
      • Feb 2003

To make sure I don't

To make sure I don't miss anyposts and to have sort of an "old forum" feeling, I just click [/U]New Posts[U], this gather all the posts that have something new since the last you visted, and the search goes thru each section, so you get everything at once, without having to wade thru each section.

Comment

• lyle jansma
        • Feb 2003

Hello,

Just wanted to add my

Hello,

Just wanted to add my two cents worth on this topic… I think that the new forum is very good overall but, Steve is right, we now have “2” web sites. We have the “old” one to view the information regarding the club membership, photos, ECT… and the “new” Forum site.

I have noticed that some of the local chapters have incorporated “their” Forum pages into their web sites. I did this with the SubCom-IP site. What I would like to suggest is that if the Subcommittee Web Site is to be truly effective it should incorporate the new forum seamlessly so to use the benefits of the old and new.

I have visited many of the web sites posted by members and Local chapters and it seams to me that the talent to fix this issue is out there amongst the membership. And like Steve mentioned, one vendor has noted a steep drop in sales with the change to the new forum site.

At any rate, the work that has gone into the new forum is greatly appreciated! Every one lead busy lives today and from what I gather, volunteers run the Subcommittee.

To the volunteers… THANK YOU!

Lyle

Comment

I agree that the new

I agree that the new message board leaves me somewhat
          confused in that I leave the message board wondering if
          I have missed something. For instance, if you want to see
          what new on the building board you have to go to page 5.
          Page 1 ishows the first message posted in February and
          the last message posted in March is on page 5. I think it
          should be the other way. Just my throughts.

Albert

Comment

• tim morris
            • Feb 2003

hi you guys-

i think i

hi you guys-

i think i know what you mean steve but i also think the idea thierry had is very good

-i just want to echo ThierryC's comments using "new posts" search. it really help to make things more immediate instead of searching though the whole site for something new.
            i started doing that only after Thierry suggested it.

I bet a theres a lot of activity getting things ready for the warmer months ahead!! i know i am getting my los angeles and my skipjack ready for the water.

i cant understand how the new format could decrease someones business--the new photo opportunities should be a help??????? dont you think so???

this is a great hobby to be in and its only getting BETTER!!

Comment

• lyle jansma
              • Feb 2003

Tim,

One element that is contributing

Tim,

One element that is contributing to low sales for vendors is the absence of the banner ads on this forum site. The forum is probably the most visited portion of the SC web site. The old forum allowed for the advertising banner and gave vendors an opportunity to give their products greater visibility. The main site still has those banners but, how many members go to the main site? The majority of the info on the main site is stagnant to the members who have been with the SC for more than a year thus, advertising there doesn’t have the "bang for the buck" that it has on the forum page due to the daily traffic.

Hopefully, this issue will be addressed in the future.

Comment

• skip asay
                • Feb 2003

While there are differences between

While there are differences between the new and the old format, what's the big deal? When you upgrade to a new (or newer) car, aren't there differences there, as well? But you get used to those differences and move on, all the while enjoying the new (or newer) car.

What I'm having a hard time with is the thought that this new format is hurting someone's sales. I can't even begin to see a connection. The new format began right at the end of February. March, the first full month with the new format, was the best month I've had in a long time. Obviously, I don't think the new format hurt sales any. It would be far easier to say that the new format helped sales. But that's a ridiculous thought, too.

Saying the format change hurt sales sorta smacks of "the dog ate my homework".

There are lots of things that can affect sales figures, but message board format isn't on that list.

Skip Asay/SubTech

Comment

• wm1300defender
                  • Feb 2003

agreed, like the old format

agreed, like the old format much, much, better.
                  Don't like this new set up at all.
                  doublt agree that i don't want to hurt feelings, and it's not mine,BUT, i think someone went and "fixed" something that wasn't broken.
                  -----------stevieB.

Comment

• thordesign
                    • Feb 2003

My business has been affected

My business has been affected dramatically by the introduction of the new board. It is NOT the message board that is the problem. It is the lack of my banner ad on the message board that has dramatically reduced the traffic through my site. That little banner ad linked to my site provided a tremendous amount of traffic through my site. The traffic through my site dropped off sharply the day after the new format went online and has never come back. It is very easy to determine where your site traffic is coming from. Most of mine came from the banner ad link.

Comment

• thordesign
                      • Feb 2003

Just as a side note.

Just as a side note. I would like to add that Jeff and Jim were given my traffic information several weeks ago and have been working very hard with Andy to get some positive changes made to aid in solving the problem. I want to thank them for their attention and hard work.

Comment

I think the new board

I think the new board is the business.

The facility to add pictures and links is fantastic.

I'm very surprised to see some folk wishing for the old board back, I fail to see any advantage in the original format, other than the 'banner' link issue.

I haven't posted much on this new board, I must admit, although that is mainly due to other committments cutting in on my surfing time!

Andy

Comment

• Scale Shipyard / WLU
                          • Feb 2003

The Banner Issue aside, this

The Banner Issue aside, this new Board / Forum format could one day be said to have saved the Subcommittee.
                          The biggest change I have seen until now is the lack of moaning and bitching about everything, and with the ability to post annonomous and phony return e-mail addresses all but eliminated, this is really a nice place to visit and look into for positive information and or reinforcement in our love for this hobby.
                          Andy, Jim & Jeff......You have done a great job and do not let anybody sway your course.
                          W.L. Upshaw

The Scale Shipyard - Maker of the largest selection of quality large scale fiberglass model ship hulls, fittings and running gear.
                          SUPPLYING YOUR HOBBY IS NOT OUR HOBBY

Comment

• desert boat
                            • Feb 2003

I, for one, like not

I, for one, like not having to look at Benner Ads on this venue. But, every manufacturer has an opportunity to plug their product through their signature and other subtle means of "..I like (so and so's) stuff because...". Please do not load up this with Banner Ads!

Comment

• desert boat
                              • Feb 2003

I, for one, like not

I, for one, like not having to look at Banner Ads on this venue. But, every manufacturer has an opportunity to plug their product through their signature and other subtle means of "..I like (so and so's) stuff because...". Please do not load up this with Banner Ads!

Just cleaned up some misspelling.

Comment

Working...
                              X