X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Charging NiCad Batteries

Can NiCad batteries be charged in a closed WTC? I learned my lesson with charging lead acid batteries in a closed WTC back in the 70s. I blew the cap right off of the WTC.
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Whilst Nicads do not

Hi Bill,

Whilst Nicads do not normally vent whilst being charged, they will if overcharged. Nearly all modern Nicads are "vented cells" and if you are using non-vented ones then you should stop using them because they are not suitable for use in models, the only possible exception being Rx Nicad packs.

If you are using Nicads to power your model e.g. 6/7 cell sub C pack, then it's "good practice" to take the pack out of the boat to charge it. If the worst should happen and the pack becomes over charged to the extent it blows up it will destroy your boat. On the real doom and gloom side, the gasses and solid particles given off from an overcharged Nicad are VERY poisonus and can kill!! Cadmium is deadly......be warned!!

Cheers,
    Clive.

Comment

Yep, I'll agree with that.

Unless

Yep, I'll agree with that.

Unless you are looking for out and out performance in terms of speed, Nickel metal hydride batteries are difficult to beat.

They offer far greater capacity for size and weight, and only a slight drop in performance under high load conditions.

Lithium Polymer cells, are the battery of the future, but right now they're best reserved for the electric flight boys!

Regards

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1047153444

Comment

Working...
      X