X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Engel Ballast Tanks - Uses of Engel Ballast Tanks

I have a pair of 0.75 liter Engel Ballast tanks with the TAES control system. The system bench tests beautifully, BUT it is too long to fit my 1]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_question.gif[/img]

Say Bill, could be the

Say Bill, could be the reason the tanks don't fit, is that they have to go in kittywampus. I saw a photo of the Engel Gato plans on a web site somewhere, sorry i don't recall where, and the tanks were sitting in kitty cornered. One forward, and one aft. Wish I could explain better. c.j.g.

Comment

Bill,
      In the old Engel Gato

Bill,
      In the old Engel Gato kit, I don't know about the new one, the tanks, fore and aft, were fitted slanted.

You can fit a single Engel Tank in the centre of the boat and thus on the C of G.

Clive Wadsworth did this in his robbe U47 conversion from Dynamic to Static diver. He wrote 'how to' article on this in the SCR. You might find it helpful.
      Hope this helps.
      Alec.

Edited By Rockape on 1046674445

Comment

Bill,
        A single 750ml Engel tank

[color=#0000FF]Bill,
        A single 750ml Engel tank works well in the robbe U47 kit but the surfaced CWL is still a little low.

I think you would need both tanks to have a "scale" surfaced CWL and be able to take on enough ballast for the boat to achieve a static dive.

All Engel sytems that use two tanks have them arranged so the screw rods are angled off centre. Another way is to fit the tanks off centre (one slightly left, the other slightly right) so the rods don't touch as they motor in and out. With careful planning this leaves plenty room for batteries, radio etc,.., The big disadvantage to the Engel system is the very large WTC and the need for [B]copious amounts[B] of lead to counteract it. My U19 weighs 46 Lbs and it's no where near as big as a 1]

Comment

Working...
        X