• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Getting back into the swing...

Greetings n such...

Its been a while, but its time to get back into the swing of things. I've had to take a few years off from the hobby with the birth of my first child and starting my own business.

So...I essentially want to start over, and am looking for a new kit to start with.

I've been nibbing around the vendors list, which seems to have changed a lot in the past few years. Small World Models caught my eye....can someone offer some honest critiques of his work? The kits look detailed and simple to assemble, which is probably a good re-starting level for me.

Thanks for any opinions....

Erich Kloss
    Wheeling, WV
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Dave Manley, owner of Small

Dave Manley, owner of Small World Models, is a reputable vendor and a nice guy. You get a good value for your money and he will give you an honest estimate as to when your kit will arrive. I have one of his USS Blueback kits and am very happy with it. It is a simple and quick build that gets you into a running model sub in short order. Then if you want to try a more complicated sub, you have something to play with at the pond while you are spending a year or more on a more complex model.

Comment

• bcliffe
      • Feb 2003

Erich,

I concur with Tim's statements,

Erich,

I concur with Tim's statements, I have one of Small Worlds Models new Trenchant kits, and I would give Dave an A+ on this kit. I have submitted a review of this kit for an upcoming SCR article.

More photo's and video of this kit can be found at]http://www.magma.ca/~bcliffe/subs/Submarines.html[/url]

Contact me at bcliffe@magma.ca if you want more details.

Cheers
      BC

Edited By bcliffe on 1102688341

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Greetings n such...

Its been a

Greetings n such...

Its been a while, but its time to get back into the swing of things. I've had to take a few years off from the hobby with the birth of my first child and starting my own business.

So...I essentially want to start over, and am looking for a new kit to start with.

Thanks for any opinions....

Erich Kloss
        Wheeling, WV
        Erich-
        congratulations on the family AND starting a business. Both somewhat stressful, time consuming events (I can relate to one of them, twice!)

SWM, Atomic Subs, SubTech, Mike's SubWorks, Engel, OTW, FX Models and Robbe all come to mind as kit vendors. (apologies in advance if I've missed someone...)

A lot depends on what you're comfortable building (can you do some scratchbuilding?) and how much you want to spend. Also, do you have a subject matter preference? (do you want modern subs, or WWII era?) Also, think about what do you want for ballast control.

All that's gonna dictate who you go with...

Best of luck with all your endeavors!

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

Thanks for all the replies....

Sam]

[color=#000000]Thanks for all the replies....

Sam]

Comment

Working...
          X