A submariner's worst nightmare... - anything like this happened to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captain nemo12
    • Sep 2003

A submariner's worst nightmare... - anything like this happened to you?

We all have things that happened to us sometime in our submarine modelling experience that is considered something really bad, for example, spray paint accidents, your fingers getting burned with a soldering iron (Yep, that's something that I don't want to go through again! ), battery being dead while your sub is in the middle of the lake , radio trouble, FISHING LINES....... what is your worst nightmare while modelling? Anybody want to share your thoughts?

• turbobearcat
    • Apr 2003

Well from the things I

Well from the things I have experinced over the last 12 years from RC Subs to Ships.
    1. Lost a battleship because I forgot to regrease the shaft after it sitting for two years.. needs less to say the radio got wet and it began circling and going farther out in the pond and I had no way of going out and recovering the boat.
    it finally did a "Titanic" and down went Yamato!

2. Batteries died while making a run out towards the lake and then have the wind blow it farther out and having it recovered by a boater and his family!

3.leaking WTC on my Kilo..I was wondering why it kept sitting lower and lower until itleveled off and then the motor died.
    MSC got soaked!

4. a Typhoon class sub dived about 5 feet off shore and never returned to the surface..it was in the testing stages.
    I was totally bummed out.

5. My VII ROG Uboat..was so hyped to get it running and then had it on the surface cruising and then it stopped cold..
    pulled it to shore and checked the batteries..DEAD.
    that battery pack done this to me in the past, needless to say it's been replaced.

Mark

Comment

• chips
      • Feb 2003

I don't enjoy running my

I don't enjoy running my boats with CAPT Chaos - he's a big hazard. Every club seems to have a CAPT Chaos, the one guy who isn't watching where his boat is at or where its going, because he's too busy watching everyone else's boat. CAPT Chaos doesn't believe in frequency flags on his radios, or the clubs method of frequency control. CAPT Chaos almost always has an answer for everything - 90% of the time it's the wrong answer. CAPT Chaos almost always seems to have the same recurring problems with his boat or boats. usually electrical. At regattas you can usually count on two or more guys who qualify as CAPT Chaos.

My club was featured one summer morning on a local news station, with our scale, sail and power boats. I had my sub on display as we were going to a SubRon6 FunRun later in the day. I was running my big USCGC and CAPT Chaos was sailing his red 1 meter sailboat. There were a few other scale boats running on the lake, but no gas boats. The TV news guy was asking me some questions, so I put my boats motor to all stop. My CGC was sitting DIW, CAPT Chaos was watching the other scale boats, not his sailboat, Wham - his sailboat hits my CGC and tears off the port anchor. About 20 minutes later, all the scale boats were off the lake and the power boats were getting ready to run. CAPT Chaos still had his sailboat on the water, under radio control. One of the gas boats was acting funny, it seems CAPT Chaos was on that guys freq, and didn't understand why his sailboat was acting funny.

Comment

• turbobearcat
        • Apr 2003

I have a story almost

I have a story almost like that but Ihad captured it in a picture, while at Eden park that "old guy" had a very large PT Boat out on the pond. My son had his 1/350 USS Arizona out there for the first time, this "guy" turned around and steered directly into the Arizona and nearly at full speed! I thought I was going to pick up the parts
        and the sunken hull and beat the crap out of this guy.
        I was told by the locals that they take thier boats out of the water when he comes to the pond, he is known for doing this type of stunt!

the Arizona was unharmed..

Comment

• bob the builder
          Former SC President
          • Feb 2003

I'm a relative newby to

I'm a relative newby to the RC subbing world, but I've had one incident so far...

I was statically testing my ballast system, letting my model settle in 16' of crystal clear water. I was really testing my WTC integrity. My air tank was fully charged, and so was my battery. I was standing on a boardwalk, directly over top of the model.

She settled nicely to the bottom. I was really glad for my high-output LEDs to keep track of her. A small crowd had gathered to watch.

I guess what happened was that when she settled, she did so in such a manner that her weight pulled a branch that I didn't see back on top of her. It flipped over and pinned her to the floor. I blew the tanks, I ran the motor, I tried everything.

I finally had to resort to diving down to get her. Fortunately, I was already spiffed out in my diving trunks and had goggles onhand. I dove down with my transmitter safely in the hands of my dad above and freed the model. She'd pulled about a yard of weeds into the prop, but once she was freed from the (surprisingly small) branch, she popped to the surface like a cork.

If I'd have been one inch off in any direction, I'd have been fine, but the keel landed precisely on the branch in precisely the way it needed to flip it over and pin her down.

I'd do it again, as this was a one-in-a-million occurence, but I rarely take her down that deep.

Oh, and both of my WTCs were dry after fifteen minutes submerged in sixteen feet of water...
          The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• captain nemo12
            • Sep 2003

I have a story almost

I have a story almost like that but Ihad captured it in a picture, while at Eden park that "old guy" had a very large PT Boat out on the pond. My son had his 1/350 USS Arizona out there for the first time, this "guy" turned around and steered directly into the Arizona and nearly at full speed! I thought I was going to pick up the parts
            I was told by the locals that they take thier boats out of the water when he comes to the pond, he is known for doing this type of stunt!

I agree that was a bit close too, did the waves caused by the PT boat cause the Arizona to tip? That's pretty frequent in this situation, good one though!

Comment

• gunter
              • Sep 2003

I was running my converted

I was running my converted Academy IX around in the pool. After a couple of minutes it started to become aft heavy. I just barely made it to the side of the pool with the throttle wide open and about 3 inches of the bow sticking out of the water. I had forgotten to install the rubber plug in the bottom of the engine compartment and it slowly flooded. DOH!

Comment

• turbobearcat
                • Apr 2003

I have a story almost

I agree that was a bit close too, did the waves caused by the PT boat cause the Arizona to tip? That's pretty frequent in this situation, good one though!
                Well the "crash" was a very loud "THUNK!" heard across the pond but the Arizona stayed even keel after the hit, which totally shocked me at the time, I figured it would ahve sunk or rolled over. very stable boat like my Bismarck or Musashi.

Mark

Comment

• turbobearcat
                  • Apr 2003

I was running my converted

I was running my converted Academy IX around in the pool. After a couple of minutes it started to become aft heavy. I just barely made it to the side of the pool with the throttle wide open and about 3 inches of the bow sticking out of the water. I had forgotten to install the rubber plug in the bottom of the engine compartment and it slowly flooded. DOH!
                  You have one of those RC converted?

if so can you tell me how you did it?

Mark

Comment

• gunter
                    • Sep 2003

PM me your email address

PM me your email address and I can send you a zip file with info on the IX and a XII. They are fairly easy to convert with micro stuff. It might be Monday before I can get back.

Comment

• gunter
                      • Sep 2003

Ahhh...make that XII a VII.

Ahhh...make that XII a VII.

Comment

• turbobearcat
                        • Apr 2003

just emailed you... and thanks!

Mark

just emailed you... and thanks!

Mark

Comment

• captain nemo12
                          • Sep 2003

VII? Hit me too! I

VII? Hit me too! I have a VIIC U-571 that might deserve the treatment!

Comment

• turbobearcat
                            • Apr 2003

From the email he sent

From the email he sent me, it looks like that same kit by Doysho correct?

Mark

Comment

• captain nemo12
                              • Sep 2003

I guess so yeah, my

I guess so yeah, my first run with this boat (back when it was still motorized), was in the testing tub (bathtub ) I don't know if it's the batteries or the overall weight but the boat wasn't balanced well. Instructions say you should use 3 C cells but AA sized ones work just as well. A bit off topic but I think it's quite worth sharing for small-sub modelers.

-> gunter, here's my email if you want to send the plans to me,
                              captainnemounderthesea@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X